Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating system drained, leaks repaired and now gushing flowing noises in radiators and pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a new boiler installed 3 years ago. Recently, I called in a plumber to fix leaking radiator valves. He drained the system and repaired the leaking valves. He also fitted 2 TRVs on 2 radiators in my lounge where there hadn't been TRVs before. I have a large lounge (originally 2 rooms) with 3 radiators and now they all have TRVs. I turned on the heating and most of the radiators in the house are making a continuous gushing, flowing sound which is intolerably loud. There is also a gushing sound in the pipes, particularly the vertical pipes bringing water from upstairs.

I've bled the radiators 3 times. Initially, there was air in 2 upstairs radiators. The water pressure on the boiler reads 1 1/2 to 2 bars. Turning off a radiator by turning down the TRV stops the noise, but I need all 3 radiators on in my lounge. I've turned off the heating this evening because I can't tolerate the noise. I didn't have this problem before the leaks were repaired. Please can someone advise me what to do.

could be air still if big system or probs trvs nad velocity of water through them, they probs cheap, take the heads off as a temp solution , where is your room stat ? get a better plumber

is it an open vented system ?
Hi. Thank you. My room stat is in the lounge. I don't know what an open vented system is! I suspect (not knowing much about central heating systems) that the noise is connected to the new TRVs as it's too much of a coincidence that the problem started when these were installed.

Hi. Thank you. My room stat is in the lounge. I don't know what an open vented system is! I suspect (not knowing much about central heating systems) that the noise is connected to the new TRVs as it's too much of a coincidence that the problem started when these were installed.
I just Googled open vented system and no I don't think I have that. I have a Worcester Greenstar combi boiler. Hope that makes sense.

Hard to say without hearing it but it does sound more like air , you need the plumber back pal .

Thanks very much for all your help, everyone. I've phoned the plumber and left a message! Hope he can cure the problem as having the heating on is not an option - I can't bear the noise.

What is the pump speed setting? If it's high, You could try reducing it (if that's an option with a combi).
Thank you ver much. I don't know how to locate the pump speed setting, but I've left a message for the plumber to come back and fix the problem.

Thank you ver much. I don't know how to locate the pump speed setting, but I've left a message for the plumber to come back and fix the problem.
On a separate pump it's straightforward, there's a manual selector on the pump. Don't know if it's the same on a combi, or if done via the software settings (if it's possible at all). Maybe one of the experts will tell us.

Where is the thermostat in the lounge in relation to the radiators. The rads may not have had trvs for the reason that your stat is in there.

Where is the thermostat in the lounge in relation to the radiators. The rads may not have had trvs for the reason that your stat is in there.
Hi. I've located the stat as far away as possible from all 3 radiators and it's about 4 ft off the floor. I'm beginning to think a TRV was previously fitted to only 1 rad for a good reason and there was no need to fit them to the other 2 rads. The room is so chilly in winter that I need the heating on full so I'm never going to be adjusting the room temperature on the TRVs. What I keep coming back to is that the rads and pipes made virtually no sound until this job was carried out so I'm guessing it has to be connected with draining the system, repairing the leaks and/or fitting TRVs. Hope that makes sense. I'm really grateful for everyone's input.

Hi. I've located the stat as far away as possible from all 3 radiators and it's about 4 ft off the floor. I'm beginning to think a TRV was previously fitted to only 1 rad for a good reason and there was no need to fit them to the other 2 rads. The room is so chilly in winter that I need the heating on full so I'm never going to be adjusting the room temperature on the TRVs. What I keep coming back to is that the rads and pipes made virtually no sound until this job was carried out so I'm guessing it has to be connected with draining the system, repairing the leaks and/or fitting TRVs. Hope that makes sense. I'm really grateful for everyone's input.
As above really. If you have a large system sometimes it can take an age to get all the air out properly

As above really. If you have a large system sometimes it can take an age to get all the air out properly
Thanks so much again. No I live in a 3 bedroomed end of terrace, so I don't think it's a large system. I have 7 rads plus 2 very little rads in airing cupboards. Incidentally, the room stat is no closer than 10 feet from the nearest radiator (I'm guessing it shouldn't be located near a rad where the heat from the rad would affect it) but I had it in the hall for a while (no issues) but I just prefer it in the lounge.

On a separate pump it's straightforward, there's a manual selector on the pump. Don't know if it's the same on a combi, or if done via the software settings (if it's possible at all). Maybe one of the experts will tell us.
Thank you. I'm really grateful for all the help I'm getting.

Thanks so much again. No I live in a 3 bedroomed end of terrace, so I don't think it's a large system. I have 7 rads plus 2 very little rads in airing cupboards. Incidentally, the room stat is no closer than 10 feet from the nearest radiator (I'm guessing it shouldn't be located near a rad where the heat from the rad would affect it) but I had it in the hall for a while (no issues) but I just prefer it in the lounge.
The Hall rad probably hasn’t got a trv on.

hi then the lounge rads DO NOT REQUIRE TRVS, get your plumber back, remove the heads temporarily

needs to be GSR to remove cover on boiler

I would say your system has trapped air in it needs venting while the boiler is off topping up and balancing this can easily take a good few hours. Kop

To get rid of trapped air ina heating system shoot it up with a blast of mains pressure water in thro a drain off connected to outside tap and jubilee clip on mt/drain off. Give it a few squirts go round with drain key
Nearest rad first. This will blow the set out nicely , n0t too much pressure just of and on , get pump running as well .. job done ...a Blast like this never fails ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hi. I missed the very latest replies, sorry, as I didn't receive any alerts. I phoned the plumber a week ago. It was a difficult conversation. He's not interested. When I pressed him, he said he'd phone me, but he hasn't. The radiators are now switched off in the lounge as the noise of gushing water circulating through the pipes and rads is unbearable. I'll need to find another plumber. I'm quite stressed as I'm waiting for surgery and I'll need the heating on. The support I've had on this website proves there are great plumbers out there, but I'm not being over dramatic when I say that this one has ruined my life.

To get rid of trapped air ina heating system shoot it up with a blast of mains pressure water in thro a drain off connected to outside tap and jubilee clip on mt/drain off. Give it a few squirts go round with drain key
Nearest rad first. This will blow the set out nicely , n0t too much pressure just of and on , get pump running as well .. job done ...a Blast like this never fails ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Thank you. I hope another plumber will be able to resolve the problem

Thank you. Hope to get another plumber soon to resolve the problem
I will not do any harm to keep bleeding the rads , sometimes the air lock will go away like magic, turn heating off and on for periods of 30 mins and bleed rads ...you never know you might get it on your own
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Do me a favour matey. Put the heating on and check to see if the side with the trv on gets hot first or the other side. You may have done this already?

I will not do any harm to keep bleeding the rads , sometimes the air lock will go away like magic, turn heating off and on for periods of 30 mins and bleed rads ...you never know you might get it on your own
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Thank you very much. I'll do that.

Reply to Central heating system drained, leaks repaired and now gushing flowing noises in radiators and pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock