Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Central heating system loosing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. chris301up

chris301up New Member

Can anyone please advise

I have a central heating system comprising of 7 radiators and a Saunier Duval Thema F23 combination boiler

During the spring and summer period the pressure remains constant at around 1 - 1.5 bar and I don't usually have to re-pressurise it

However, during the autumn and winter period, the pressure drops fairly rapidly and I usually have to re-pressurise every 1 - 2 days or so.

I rarely use the central heating , unless it's absolutely necessary, as I simply cannot afford it, so tend rely solely on the gas fire. This doesn't prevent the pressure dropping though even when it's not in use during the periods in question.

I have checked for any leaks as best as I can but am at a bit of a loss why this only occurs

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Have you checked the pipe that pokes out the wall outside? Is this dripping when the heating is on. Also does the pressure rise when the heating is on?

3. chris301up

chris301up New Member

I know the pressure relief outlet doesn't leak but I haven't checked the pressure rises when heating is on. Will do that and post result. Thanks

4. chris301up

chris301up New Member

Right. I've just run the CH for about half an hour or so and can tell you that the pipe protruding through the wall is not dripping, but trickling out in a steady stream. The pressure has also risen to just about 2 bar. I suspect a serious problem??

5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not a serious problem but it needs addressing rather than waiting

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above mate get it checked

7. chris301up

chris301up New Member

Further to my earlier posts I've just noticed that the water trickling out of the pipe protruding through the wall is hot. Didn't notice this before!!

I have been awaiting the possibility of boiler replacement under the government scheme, but apparently I'm not eligible for it?
    Will have to see about having this boiler sorted in the interim.

8. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

It could be as simple as having the expansion vessel recharged and possibly a new Temperature & Pressure relief valve if it won't seat properly. Not something you can do yourself but not major works either.