Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating - Water - Leave well alone ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jirams

Is there any merit in the statement that if there is no evidence of sediment in a central heating system and no leaks, then it is best not to drain it down or flush as part of routine service ?

The argument being that the introduction of fresh water brings in more oxygen which assists corrosion.

I have in mind a system that has not been drained for around 28 years, has a Baxi 552 BBU, has even heat distribution over all rads, is in Scotland in a soft water area. The system comes on full within 30 minutes (indirect DHWS with circ pump for 9 rads). The rads never need bled.

if it aint broke dont fix it come to my mind

I have drain down a system filled in back up with inhibitor and had the odd leak that was there before i drain down

Accused to be my fault of course :)

i would at least top up the inhibitor if any in system. wouldn't do any harm to change water in system.

i stand corrected (see below)

Last edited by a moderator:
i would at least top up the inhibitor if any in system. wouldn't do any harm to change water in system.

Never had inhibitor in it - what do you see is benefit in changing water given the performance quoted in OP?

i defo would not touch it unless you want a potential nightmare and trust me they can happen

It like the oil seals in an old car.
The old, thicker, dirty oil is working fine until you replace it with new fresh oil that starts to finds its way though the seals and low and behold you have a full engine rebuild on your hands.
Sometimes it is just better to leave alone and top up if need be. As others have said "if it aint broke don't try fix it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating - Water - Leave well alone ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock