Search the forum,

Discuss Changing of radiator valve! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peteeyres

I'm changing a radiator valve, I'm hoping the nut already on the pipe will thread onto the new valve, if so how is best to get a good seal around the old olive? PTFE tape maybe? Just I can't change the pipe because minimum bit coming out of the wall already. Help please!

PTFE is fine but usually you can get away without using any on the radiator. If you're taking the valve off the pipe then you need to drain the system (or get very wet which is not recommended). If you're draining the system then you can change the pipework as necessary and will find it easier to have a good join to the pipe and radiator.

There isn't much pipe to work with so that's why was hoping to get away with the olive an nut that's already on the pipework!

So if I wrap PTFE around the olive afew times it should hold well, it's on the flow!

Yes, but before that stage you need to drain the system. As soon as the valve comes off the pipe you'll have a spectacular indoor water feature unless the water's drained off.

Or use pipe freezing as a plug for 30 to 40 minutes - works well and then just top up and balance

i don't think there is enough space to freeze the pipe from what the op said. i would use an olive remover and start from scratch with new olive and nut.

If I unscrew the thermostat (top White part) does the valve keep flowing? Well it seems to, is the the valve broken or is it ment to be like that?

yes the valve keeps flowing it is meant to. what you should use is a decorating cap which is basically a plastic cap that screws on in place of the thermostatic top. if you haven't got one (you get one with the thermo valve kit) keep the thermostat on the valve but turn it right down as far as it will go this will stop the flow. what system do you have? combi or normal boiler.

as above in regards to taking the thermostat head off

If the decoators cap is missing you could try and place a 5 pence piece in there

but best be is do it properly, drain it down athen refill with a decent inhibitor

HOLD ON!!! if your changing the actual valve then closing it will not help you in the slightest as youll be undoing the nut between pipe and valve NOT valve and rad nut, so youll need your snorkell.

drain system down that way youll be dry if nothing else.

its always better to be safe than sorry.

Well at first it was just to take the radiator off but then we found out the valve was broken so yes then I had to drain the system down to change it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing of radiator valve! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock