Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water feed in kitchen and bathroom query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravity fed water system, second floor flat in a multi-storey

I want to find out about the cold water supply in my flat and was checking out the pipes in the bathroom cupboard as there is no stopcocks etc.. under the kitchen sink.

The cold water taps in the basin, bathtub and kitchen sink all seem to be linked to one pipe and when I turn the valve off all the cold water supply in the kitchen and bathroom stops and vice versa.
Does this mean that the drinking water in the kitchen cold tap is the same as the bathroom cold water taps? Is there meant to be any kind of valve (PRV/NRT) to separate the two or is it perfectly safe to have cold water which I assume is from the main s rising in the bathroom and kitchen, thank you for any info on this.

How did you turn off the incoming supply?

Is there a communal service room in the block of flats or are there rows and rows of s/c's Atplas covers in the footpoath/road outside?

There are two stopcock valves in the bathroom cupboard, one for the cold water and one for the hot water supply. I turned them both to see what they do and they seem to control the whole water supply in my flat. There is a massive gravity water plant just across where I live which supplies the water and there aren't lots of s/c's covers outside. Am I able to turn the incoming mains off and on is this the norm? I am just trying to figure out the water supply in my flat, thanks.

Sounds like you have located the isolating s/c's for you flat, although assuming tyhat it is not a converyed house and a purpose built flat, there will be a corresponding s/c either in a service room or outside the property attached to your flat.

When was the building built out of interest?

The multi-storey is from the 1960s. A combi boiler put in last month which supplies hot water and heats the flat up, before the combi was put in there was an hot water cylinder which was used for the past 40 years plus. None of the pipes or valves were changed just new pipes for the hot water and heating system.

I don't know why but I find the water very dry and I keep breaking out in a rash (hive like symptoms) so I am trying to figure out what the pipes/valves in the bathroom do and wonder since all the old pipes haven't been touched in 40 plus years if there needs to be a non return valve, double check valve or anything else which would ensure I am getting quality water into the flat as this rash is driving me crazy and only occurs when I use the water supply in the flat.

Last edited:
As you surmised, the supply is direct off the incoming mains for both kitchen and bathroom. Means that you don't have cold water storage, which is fine unless the water mains are off for any prolonged period, which doesn't happen as much these days as it used to.

(Apologies for not reading the title of your thread properly....)

Does that mean that the water will always be supplied direct off the mains for the kitchen and bathroom? I think I might have to move if that is the case as my skin doesn't seem to do well with water which is mainly from the mains feed.

Yes it does, but not the hot water obvioulsy.

The only change that you will get from using stored water (unless the tank is contaminated) is that will have reduced or no chlorine in it. That said the levels of chlorine are extremely low, at least 10 times lower than in a swimming pool for example

EDIT: Just found this advice Is Your Shower Water Causing Your Skin Woes and Even Eczema?

Thanks for such informative information I know it be silly but I like knowing how things work.

I am thinking about getting a double check valve/isolation valves or any other kind of valve (please advise) which will ensure there is no back flow of water or cross contamination because even though the old cylinder was removed I would feel better if I can have some of the things updated. As stated the flat and the pipes are from back in the 1960s, the hot water system was updated along with the combi boiler but none of the internal pipes/valves were changed.

My question is where do valves normally go and what are the norm fixtures to have? I did have someone look and he found some pipes near the toilet and said those were best, he also suggested that the gate valve be replaced with a ball valve as it would suit the new boiler’s pipe work. I trust the certified plumber and just want to know what to expect and if I should suggest anything as he will come later this week, any info would be great thank you. :)

Normally fit as close to the appliance, showers a favourite

Okay thank you, the bathroom is old no shower so I think that why he suggested near the toilet as there is pipework there behind a plasterboard wall.
I turned the cold water mains off and on just to test that it works and need to know am I meant to keep the valve fully open as it turns about 5 times clockwise to close.

Yes gate valves fully open and then 1/16 turn shut (stops it sticking)

You're awesome, thank you ;). If the cold water mains gate valve was only open a tiny bit but enough to supply water into the flat then would that affect the water quality at all or are there any other dangers to it?

Okay thank you, the bathroom is old no shower so I think that why he suggested near the toilet as there is pipework there behind a plasterboard wall.
I turned the cold water mains off and on just to test that it works and need to know am I meant to keep the valve fully open as it turns about 5 times clockwise to close.

Bring it back a quarter of a turn to avoid the gate getting stuck in the fully open position.

If the cold water mains gate valve was only open a tiny bit but enough to supply water into the flat then would that affect the water quality at all or are there any other dangers to it?

If the cold water mains gate valve was only open a tiny bit but enough to supply water into the flat then would that affect the water quality at all or are there any other dangers to it?

No just effect flow and pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water feed in kitchen and bathroom query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock