Search the forum,

Discuss Column Radiators Cold at Bottom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vanurdi010310

I'm having trouble getting my Column Radiators in Kitchen (2) & Lounge (2) getting hot at the bottom. The system is less than 2 years old and powered by a new Worcester 42CDI.

All the other Rads seem to get hot. The boiler is turned up to max and all Rads have been Bled and there's no air in the system. Pressure of the boiler is also around 1.5. All Rads are fitted with TRVs.

When you turn the TRVs on all Rads off except the 4 Column Radiators, they then seem to get fairly hot at the bottom, almost as hot as the Top. As soon as they other TRVs are turned to say between 2 - 3, the Column Rads start to get cool towards the bottom. This results in the room taking longer to heat up.

The Column Rads have the Flow and Return entering and exiting from the Bottom. I'm also pretty sure these Radiators are towards the end or middle of the Loop so not sure if that makes any difference.

Any advice how on what to try to solve this? Will adding an extra Rad in each room help heating the room quicker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try and balance the system.
There is a good post on here regarding how best to do that.
Search will find it

Hello,... Don't go adding extra rads to your issues.
It certainly sounds like a flow issue.
My course of action would be:
*Check position of lock shield valves - are they allowing decent flow - how does flow pipe temp compare to return? Sounds like you have good flow and no/little return as vertical rads heat from the top first then fill the vertical feet no with heat.
*Carry out proper balancing of the system.
* Check manufacturers instructions for correct orientation - vertical rads have little flaps to channel the hot ch flow water to the top and allow it to cascade down the fins - if the rad is orientated incorrectly it'll never work as intended ( I put this third as I always read the MI'smso can never be guilty of not following them).

Hope that helps

James

Hello,... Don't go adding extra rads to your issues.
It certainly sounds like a flow issue.
My course of action would be:
*Check position of lock shield valves - are they allowing decent flow - how does flow pipe temp compare to return? Sounds like you have good flow and no/little return as vertical rads heat from the top first then fill the vertical feet no with heat.
*Carry out proper balancing of the system.
* Check manufacturers instructions for correct orientation - vertical rads have little flaps to channel the hot ch flow water to the top and allow it to cascade down the fins - if the rad is orientated incorrectly it'll never work as intended ( I put this third as I always read the MI'smso can never be guilty of not following them).

Hope that helps

James

As above dont add more rads you have circulation issue the system requires balancing the pump needs looking at may help to fit aav to column rads you may still have air trapped in them google Aladdin auto vents, make sure you have a good quality inhibitor in the system to .

Thanks for the advice. Will try balancing them over the weekend and go from there.

If you turn other rads off and the column rads then improve, you have poor circulation or badly balanced system. But poor circulation could be due to undersized pipework, particularily if the house has had add on renovation work to heating system and never a surprise if a builder or diyer undertook the heating work. Very common problem.
Check all easy paths of flow for the pump are closed down - other rads etc.
Sometimes the TRV valves fitted to the column rads are frankly too restrictive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Column Radiators Cold at Bottom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I'm looking to fit a small Nordic 3 column radiator, but the red plastic bung that indicated the top has been removed along with all the others. I can see straight through the opening on the top and bottom and the diverter is separate, not already installed. In short, without...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
New double panel column radiator Cold Turned off all rads not helped Checked trv pin seems fine Locksheild i think is ok see pic sttached Its new so didnt need to flush Cant really balance because the only thing that is hot is the copper pipes So instructions came with it about how it...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock