Search the forum,

Discuss commercial forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

I think this would be a good idea as I'm often trawling through pages of search functions trying to find some tips on commercial gas work as I've recently done my commercial acs and read the commercial corgi books but the posts on commercial soon disappear into the abyss.

This forum doesn't just have to be for commercial gas but for any commercial heating or plumbing work.

What do you think? I also can't find another commercial has forum on the internet as I have tried.

I'm com too.

Seems a good idea.

Btw if you've only just passed give me a message if need any advice. Im not an expert but I do it everyday

Hi

Im looking to go into commercial gas in the future (dont want to run before I can walk) as I only qualified last year in Domestic. I really want to develop a career in this field but really need some advice on how to do it! Im looking at courses in the hope of approaching companies in order to get the hands on experience when Ive paid for the qualification, thus saving them a load of cash and hopefully landing myself some work. Some agencies are asking for welding qualifications and happy to do this. Just trying to get a clear path of what I need to achieve and whats the best way to go about it. Im 36, ex forces (so only been doing plumbing for 6 years) based in the south east, any genuine help, advice or personal experience from people out there would be greatly appreciated

Sounds a good Idea , but are commercial gas engineers more secretive ?

( Conducting them selves in a more "Professional" fashion )

Bod! Ssssshhhhh

Ive spent over 20 years working in the commercial/industrial gas side of it. Not a lot of Internet resource out there unless you join LinkedIn and get on some HVAC groups.

Sounds a good Idea , but are commercial gas engineers more secretive ?

( Conducting them selves in a more "Professional" fashion )

On the whole we don't discuss jobs that much. Commercial/industrial is usually a lonely old game.

The main difference is I think is that we do not usually deal with a bill payer just the end user. Most of my work is worth local authority, government agency or blue chip contract.

I arrive at a reception, ask where the boiler room is and I have to work it out the fault with no help from the user. They just know their HVAC isn't working and want it sorting, they don't ask " how much is that going to cost?" and I very rarely need to explain to them in detail what the fault is.

I could then be faced with absolutely anything, from one 30kw boiler to a bank of 3 1.2mw boilers. There could be an abundance of controls, valves, pumps and so on..

A few domestic, not all I must stress, just a few, think they are a cut above the commercial engineer. For this reason I never discuss my work with them due to the attitude some of them have displayed in the past. I'm always open to help folks but you can't help people who already think they know it all.

Commercial/industrial is usually a lonely old game.

Many thanks for job outline , hope our community can help

( attitude of a few may be an insecurity defence )
( your boilers are bigger ! )

( and probably better built )

Last edited:
I would agree with Phil B, working in the commercial game in Ireland. Clients only tell you later that another 5 guys have been out earlier looking at problem job. Plenty of dunces out there having a go. Many think they know it all. I work with several commercial service engineers. We talk about any problems and experiences we have had which is very useful. Working on your own is harder with no 1 for back up. A commercial forum would be magic, but I can't see many lads contributing to it.

The Plumbers Arms is sort of meant to be used by tradesmen only, so commercial also. And then the Gas Safe forum for those who are Gas Safe.

Though if you think it needs to be a dedicated forum I'll make one.

Would it need to be access only? If so I'll stick it in the Plumbers Arms as we know only professionals have access to that already and it can be time consuming adding members to another usergroup one by one and we already have a fair few usergroups members can join.

Let me know if sticking it in the Arms is preferred, or if you'd like it public, and I'll sort it out tonight for you.

i think private for sure , you know what some hotels are like , always get the maintenance man to try first after hes finished decorating room 223 but that's just my opinion. id say ok in the gas safe forum but am happy either way

Private IMO

Only thing is what's the entry criteria?

Com gas tickets?

If it's gas-only commercial forum then I'll stick it in the Gas Safe forum category we already have, and you'll need to have access to that to see the new forum.

And the criteria is to send me your GSR number and business details so I can check on their website.

Though all the lads mentioning it in this thread that don't have access to the GSR Forum Category will need to send me their details soonish.

Why not make it a commercial/industrial forum open to all not just Gas, there are a lot of commercial plumbers/ pipe fitters out there who are not Gas safe registered

I still think this would be a really good idea as like I stated in the opening post that the few commercial topics soon go into the abyss and take time to dig up.

How about a commercial plumbing forum with a sub section for commercial gas where you need commercial gas tickets to gain entry.

So it would be set up like the gas safe register forum is now.

If it's gas-only commercial forum then I'll stick it in the Gas Safe forum category we already have, and you'll need to have access to that to see the new forum.

And the criteria is to send me your GSR number and business details so I can check on their website.

Though all the lads mentioning it in this thread that don't have access to the GSR Forum Category will need to send me their details soonish.

Already done that twice Dan and you still haven't added me. Wll contacting you this way help??

Any news on the commercial forum yet, im sitting my commercial at the end of august and think this would be a good idea

I think a commercial forum would be a fantastic idea. I know a few of you think I come on here to pillock about, to be honest I do. 99% of my work is in the commercial arena. I don't have a domestic ticket. I don't need a domestic ticket. I don't want a domestic ticket! Domestics scare me. My boilers range from 24kw to 4mw. I deal with gas, oil, dual fuel and biomass, lthw, mthw, steam and warm air heaters. Controls to me are panels full of relays and contactors coupled to a building management system. Heating layouts have low loss headers, primary loops, primary circuits, constant temp circuits, modulated temp circuits. Phex to me are standalone units in the corner.I have pressurisation units, multiple pressure vessel systems with three or four 300 litre vessels.

I could go on.

This week, for example, I've been carrying out a six monthly servicing regime as well as drying out pumps in a boilerhouse that had 3' of flood water in it, running temporary supplies to the boilers, replacing 415v gas burners and multiblock gas valves on two 500kw boilers an having to rewire the control panels to take a couple of timeclocks because the control panel's full of mud.

And domestic's scare me! I've learned a lot about domestic boilers from the guys on this forum but I think I'll stick to commercial!

I think, because there are both commercial gas and oil engineers out there, it should be a sub forum in the Arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a commercial forum would be a fantastic idea. I know
a few of you think I come on here to pillock about, to be
honest I do. 99% of my work is in the commercial arena. I
don't have a domestic ticket. I don't need a domestic ticket.
I don't want a domestic ticket! Domestics scare me. My
boilers range from 24kw to 4mw. I deal with gas, oil, dual
fuel and biomass, lthw, mthw, steam and warm air heaters.
Controls to me are panels full of relays and contactors
coupled to a building management system. Heating layouts have
low loss headers, primary loops, primary circuits, constant
temp circuits, modulated temp circuits. Phex to me are
standalone units in the corner.I have pressurisation units,
multiple pressure vessel systems with three or four 300 litre
vessels.

I could go on.

This week, for example, I've been carrying out a six monthly
servicing regime as well as drying out pumps in a boilerhouse
that had 3' of flood water in it, running temporary supplies
to the boilers, replacing 415v gas burners and multiblock gas
valves on two 500kw boilers an having to rewire the control
panels to take a couple of timeclocks because the control
panel's full of mud.

And domestic's scare me! I've learned a lot about domestic
boilers from the guys on this forum but I think I'll stick to
commercial!

I think, because there are both commercial gas and oil
engineers out there, it should be a sub forum in the Arms.

Totally agree croppie, but youve made my head hurt with that post, what am i getting myself into:smilewinkgrin:

The main trick, Andy, is never to flap. I'm fortunate in that that NIE has money to burn at the minute so I'm able to get shot of a lot of the older nu-ways that are rattling around the estate and replace them with riellos. If you can get everything standard it helps. I also have overall responsibility for those boilerhouses. Over the last year they've been aggressively tidied, floors repainted and drip trays fitted where required. I can tell at a glance now when there's something amiss in one of my boilerhouses.

But take your time, don't panic and don't be afraid to ring up manufacturers.

Good luck mate!

Oh! And another thing I discovered recently. Basement boilerhouses never fare well with unexpected flashfloods as we had here in Belfast a month ago.

Carry a snorkel and flippers as well.

been there and done that, my top tip always make sure the sump pump works:redface:

4.5" of rain in an hour over the Stormont estate. Dundonald is at the bottom of the hill. The sump pump couldn't cope. And gave up completely when the substation pooped itself! I got a callout 4am to fix a leak in the basement and turn on the heating. I turned up to find half the top soil off the estate in my boiler house, the fire brigade pumping it out and a guy from the electrickery board running around because he couldn't turn the CO2 fire suppression system off.

I sighed, got back in me van and went home.

is there any chance mods can sort this?? it would be great for people like me who are sitting commercial gas, and also people already in the commercial side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to commercial forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all, Happy new year! Hope this is OK in this part of the forum. Been a plumber for about 12 years now, mostly commercial stuff with some domestic and new builds here and there. Sole trader working for numerous different companies. Been thinking that maybe it's time I started my own...
Replies
Views
Hi We are a commercial premises Have been using the same plumber for years and very happy with his work but recently came to light he has a domestic ticket. When questioned he said it was ok as all the boilers he works on are under 70kw? He also says he does not touch the commercial catering...
Replies
Views
I run a small plumbing and heating company. I am looking for a commercial gas engineer to help out with a few call outs, servicing, safety checks etc. Most work around London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex area. Ideally looking for someone self employed or another small business who could work...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
    • Optimistic
Hello All, I know that this is a question for a Forum Moderator and probably should be posted in a section about the Forum itself but I was hoping to get some replies from Members about whether this is happening to anyone else: When I logged into the Forum this afternoon and went to look down...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock