Search the forum,

Discuss Concealed valves and limescale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannnydan

Hi, I'm having a bathroom fitted as part of a refurb. I've bought concealed valves, shower rose, bath filler etc. However, the builder is strongly recommending against using them, saying that, as it's a hard water area, there would be problems and he won't guarantee the work. Is limescale really such a problem that I shouldn't use them (they are front-servicable)? I appreciate that the work is more than the simple exposed valves he had expected (we didn't initially specify anything, as it's a small part of the overall work), so would pay a bit more. But I would appreciate any thoughts on their use - they seem to be all over London, so I assume they can't be that bad! Thanks, Dan

Simple question to ask yourself is....how are your other taps/valves doing?

Sounds like the builder just doesn't want to do the extra work, could be wrong.

I've not had concealed ones before, but I suspect you're right about it just being a reluctance to do the work.

Builders know best. Personally i would fit the concealed valve.

Experience and logic says if you are spending a substantial amount of money doing a property refurb and you are going to live in the property and you are in a hard water area such as Greater London, why aren't you installing a water softener? You will save a small fortune on cleaning materials, soap powder, etc etc and never have to worry about lime scale. Average price installed is about £1500 but we often buy refurbished kinetico for £500 and they work just fine.
You can then have any shower valve you like, and your kettle and steam iron will never scale up!

Yeah, a water softener might be an idea, although even more money. What does the water taste like? I remember not liking soft Devon water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Concealed valves and limescale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock