Search the forum,

Discuss Concertina toilet waste pipe disintegrated within days of fitting and not even in use?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All

Apologies for making my first thread a cry for help but this is perplexing!

New bathroom is being installed. This morning, about 10 days since the concertina style waste pipe was fitted, the plumber let water in to the new toilet cistern and flushed it. I realised it was leaking through the ceiling, he pulled out pan and discovered this
cid:6E41F67082F68F47AE7E85740A51C515@sct-15-1-1199-15-msonline-outlook-d62aa.templateTenant

What has happened???

Inferior parts?

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

And, what can I ask the plumber to do that will avoid this happening a second time?

Your help/advice/thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Pics not showing up yet ??

Rodent damage a possibility. To my knowledge there are none in the house but maybe a rat or mouse has travelled up through the pipe and done this?

Looks like it has been bitten rather than clean breaks, ask him to use rigid pipe not a flexi now.

Not my area of expertise but that looks more like 100mm flexible air duct for an extractor fan or tumble dryer than a toilet waste connector to me.

It does look like that with it being so thin walled. Every flexi pan connector I've seen is made of much thicker plastic than that and don't have wire support like the one in the picture.

Not my area of expertise but that looks more like 100mm flexible air duct for an extractor fan or tumble dryer than a toilet waste connector to me.

It does look like that with it being so thin walled. Every flexi pan connector I've seen is made of much thicker plastic than that and don't have wire support like the one in the picture.
Thinking it`s fully extended in the photo and the pan connecter end doesn`t look like an air ducting connection which is a smaller size is it not?

That looks chewed to me.
If you imagine the gaps closed the edges don't look like they'll match up as though there is material missing.

It either needs a rodent barrier;
McAlpine Rodent Barrier

or better still NOT using a flexi

Roland has been at that by the looks of it,

"Yer , rat - fans "

Flexible pan connectors, especially the foreign imports are useless .

Thanks everyone. I agree it looks like rodents. Just a couple of months ago a neighbour living in a 3rd floor flat reported a leak from her loo and was told by the plumber that rodents had eaten a hole through the toilet waste pipe - not Flexi. So it seems the rats round our way are determined, destructive and won't let much stand in their way. Rodent barrier needed. Your advice has been much appreciated

• Winner
Reactions: rpm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Concertina toilet waste pipe disintegrated within days of fitting and not even in use?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the branch) and plan to place it the opposite end of the room. I was pretty lucky to find a 110mm sewer waste pipe below the old sink which is the new...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. I am solo tenant living in a flat. The bathroom is a horror show. Black mould on tiles. Water has previously come in from the flat above, requiring the ceiling to be replastrered. The fixtures and fittings are very old. But I have made do. The toilet is starting to worry...
Replies
Views
Morning All After some advise on repairing a sink waste that goes into the toilet pan, which goes straight into soil stack. Had bathroom done 2 years ago, and then needed a new basin waste fitted recently. Plumber who fitted basin waste discovered a bodge from previous bathroom fitter, where...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock