Search the forum,

Discuss Conflicting advice on flow and return for new install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ArchieC

I need some advice please.

I have had several quotes for a central heating and hot water installation for a large 3 storey house with 22 rads (inc towel rails) but the advice I am receiving is conflicting and just wanted a bit of insight please.

Chap number 1 suggests 22mm flow and return in the middle of the house (hallway) with the flow branching off to each floor from the single initial flow pipe at each floor. Then 15mm to radiators - some of the radiators are quite far away from the middle of the house so would mean the 15mm runs are quite long.

Chap number 2 suggest as number 1 but with 28mm.

Chap number 3 suggests as number 2 (28mm) but with the flow separating out of the boiler as early as possible and then separate 28mm to each floor.

Aside from the extra cost of options 2 and in particular option 3, are there any advantages/disadvantages?

It's all about rapid and correct heat transfer. I'd say 22 is too small

28mm min main runs

depending on how many rads on each floor 22-28mm

15mm to each rad

Low loss header by boiler

Do not install a combi boiler

28mm off boiler with 22mm tee off to each floor then 15mm tee off 22mm to supply each group of radiators with total output not exceeding 5Kw.

So is chap number 3's suggestion a bit overkill?

nope nothing is overkill,

depends if you want each floor zoning

if you dont just do one 28mm main run and t off for each floor

Thanks. I would like 3 zones.

By way of update, chap number 1 and has suggested a Spirocross AX100 low loss header, whereas chap number 2 and 3 suggest this might be too small?

Thanks. I would like 3 zones.

By way of update, chap number 1 and has suggested a Spirocross AX100 low loss header, whereas chap number 2 and 3 suggest this might be too small?

Depends on heating load think the ax100 can take upto 50kw

What size boiler / boilers are you going for / what's your heatloss calcs say

Might be best to get it designed properly
You can then get the drawings priced so you compare like for like and if it doesn't work you have someone to go back to

Unless you are looking for the cheapest option, then go with no.1

They've all told me their designs but I was just a bit concerned that some aspects vary wildly. Chap 1 is the cheapest.

They've offered me the option of a Worcester or Vaillant, l've chosen to go with the Vaillaint ecotec 637 which all 3 are happy to install.

Interestingly, only chap 1 (NRG Lex SCM) and 2 (Honeywell) mentioned a wiring centre, need to check with chap number 3.

They've all told me their designs but I was just a bit concerned that some aspects vary wildly. Chap 1 is the cheapest.

They've offered me the option of a Worcester or Vaillant, l've chosen to go with the Vaillaint ecotec 637 which all 3 are happy to install.

Interestingly, only chap 1 (NRG Lex SCM) and 2 (Honeywell) mentioned a wiring centre, need to check with chap number 3.

Did they do a heat loss calc of your house ?? If not get them to do one

and bin chap 1

Been under the weather hence I didnt reply sooner.

Yes, heat loss calcs have been carried out.

Is a magnetic filter required if the AX100 is fitted?

Been under the weather hence I didnt reply sooner.

Yes, heat loss calcs have been carried out.

Is a magnetic filter required if the AX100 is fitted?

yes and no but i would always fit one boiler side return

The chap I have chosen has given me the choice of a Magnaclean, Fernox or Centramag 2... I've read good reports about Centramag on here.. does that include the '2' version?

i would always go with adeys magnaclean but thats down to me and the experiences ive had with others

and assume you mean 1"

Magnaclean Pro 2XP or Twintech? (needs to be 28mm)

Last edited by a moderator:
Never in 40 years at this job have i ever been so anal to have specked or been asked about a wiring centre :tounge_smile:

Never in 40 years at this job have i ever been so anal to have specked or been asked about a wiring centre :tounge_smile:

you havent met the qc and drafters round here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Conflicting advice on flow and return for new install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock