Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting BSP iron threads at specific angle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I am making connection to the backboiler on a Rayburn. It has 1"BSP female threads. I understand I need to use male BSP iron connectors with fibre washers.

I need the flow pipe to exit and immediately turn a sharp right angle downwards, in order to avoid part of the fitted kitchen. I do not have room to use a compression fitting and bend the pipe, so I propose to use a 90 deg BSPM to compression. However, how can I ensure that it will end up facing the right direction when tightened?

Two proposals which occur to my non-plumbers brain, are:

1) To pack the thread with additional washers until the angle is correct. I suppose it is possible, knowing the thread pitch to calculate the washer thickness required to rotate a required angle?

2) To thread a backnut onto the male thread before connecting to the boiler, and use it to tighten the fitting once correct angle is achieved. Concerned this may leave me with insufficient thread to make a secure connection between fitting and boiler.

I look forward to more experienced replies.

Many thanks

Loctit 55 or 557 you can set these at any angle, so you can wind the elbow all the way in and back it off 1/2 a turn if it doesn't line up where you want it

The flow pipe I speak of is the exit from the backboiler. It is an open vented system, with a header tank elsewhere in the loop.

The flow pipe I speak of is the exit from the backboiler. It is an open vented system, with a header tank elsewhere in the loop.

If there is just the one flow, it will include the vent. It must rise all the way.
Do you know what I mean by vent?

Sounds like your trying to angle the flow downwards on a gravity feed system?

the system is pumped. Not sure where the idea that it was gravity came from, unless just an assumption because it's a rayburn?

System is in a boat, rads layed out over a 10m horizontal run with windows and doors in the way, which pipework has tp run under, no room for the rise required by gravity, so system is pumped.

System is in a boat, rads layed out over a 10m horizontal run with windows and doors in the way, which pipework has tp run under, no room for the rise required by gravity, so system is pumped.
Sounds to me like your Rayburn has a back boiler and this flow pipe you speak of will send hot water to the radiators - Yes?
Sister lives on a boat with a Squirrel stove and back boiler which does the same with 22 or 28mm shiny copper pipe. Advise checking maximum distance and rad sizes that the pump can deal with before going further.

Sounds to me like your Rayburn has a back boiler and this flow pipe you speak of will send hot water to the radiators - Yes?
Sister lives on a boat with a Squirrel stove and back boiler which does the same with 22 or 28mm shiny copper pipe. Advise checking maximum distance and rad sizes that the pump can deal with before going further.

Are these sealed RPM.?

Duraglit for Christmas!
She has that amongst other cleaning stuff, considering it is basically 6ft wide x 50ft long open plan with her, 2 dogs and a wood burner with yards of copper pipe on display and wood floor it is immaculate.

She has that amongst other cleaning stuff, considering it is basically 6ft wide x 50ft long open plan with her, 2 dogs and a wood burner with yards of copper pipe on display and wood floor it is immaculate.

Ask her if I can borrow it for mi holidays. I looked at renting one, have you seen the prices for a week?
Not cheap but I’d love to have a do!

Ask her if I can borrow it for mi holidays. I looked at renting one, have you seen the prices for a week?
Not cheap but I’d love to have a do!
Not a chance in hell mate! Do it and de stress for a week, recommend the Norfolk Broads because it is so large and no frustrating locks where you have to queue for ages to get through in the summer.

If the Rayburn is solid fuel, what happens when the pump fails?
Where is the safety?

Hello there Best.
Good question. Do you know if these are sealed or open vented, or do they have a different set up?

OK, I am no plumber (as you may have gathered) but have boated for a while... Have consulted various (many boat specific) plumbers in design of this system. It is as follows:

Rayburn with backboiler, output to 22mm copper pipe for first few meters, then switch to plastic. Three rads and hot water cylinder (calorifier) all connected in parallel. One of the rads (in bathroom) has no TRV, so is always on as a safety. Header tank is T-d off of return pipe, it is highest point in system, used as filler and check point, it also has overflow. Pump on return line to back boiler.

I am given to understand that in the event of pump failure system may boil. Header tank will overflow if boiling is significant enough. I am also led to believe that many systems, even those with (for example...) pipes which turn immediately downwards as they exit the back boiler, will still thermosyphon even when physics and logic suggests that they shouldn't.

After I exit the boiler and turn the pipe downwards I will curve the pipe so that it is running horizontal, so I am effectively creating a dogleg of a few inches.

I will not be polishing any of my copper pipe.

I don't see how the boiler will thermosyphon if pipes exiting boiler are to be turned downwards. Boiler will just boil like a kettle and vibrate if pump or power fails. At least that's what has happened to jobs I have seen and heard about which had the solid fuel boiler pipes dropped downwards by diyers or incompetent plumbers.

Ok, well I am clearly both a DIYer and incompetent plumber, but keen not to be if at all possible... Perhaps you can help?

Top pipe exits rayburn boiler immediately into the side of a stainless steel sink unit (50mm gap only). The onward journey of the pipe follows under the sink unit for 1800mm, there is no logical way of it happening above the level of the sink.

Only potentially useful thing I can think of is to move the header tank (proposed as a T off the system) and site it above the exit to the boiler. That way in the event of a pump failure coolant could boil up to the header tank, and overflow could be routed down to sink draining board? I could place a Tee fitting on the exit of the boiler, with flow pipe going downwards, routed under sink, and upwards facing end feeding the tank?

Thoughts?

I would want " boil up " to be kept controlled by heat loss somewhere - to a hot water cylinder plus one radiator (or more) piped for same.
Pity the flow couldn't be installed rising in that 50mm space?
The whole thing scares me tbh. Best to get a solid fuel heating installer to also have a look at the place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting BSP iron threads at specific angle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock