Search the forum,

Discuss connecting to soil pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the back of the house for me to make a new connection nearer the new loo , i have no idea how the pipe systems run so could be digging for nothing , i will attach photos to give you an idea of what i'm talking about .

Attachments

• IMG_20240120_105355.jpg
    IMG_20240120_105355.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240120_105437.jpg
    IMG_20240120_105437.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240120_105444.jpg
    IMG_20240120_105444.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240120_105355.jpg
    IMG_20240120_105355.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 34
Best to tap into the main underground drainage and install a man hole as well

Builder would be best for this (the underground pipework)

thanks shaun , if i was to open up the mono block just below where the loo is going is there any chance there could be a pipe there for a builder to tap into ,or could it be a massive job .

All depends which way the drains run do you know if they run at the left or right eg manholes ?

sorry i don't know which way they run , there are no manholes visible , i'm wondering if it's because the house is a STEELE house & maybe drainage is different from modern houses ,
i can only see a small open drain well over to the left which seems to be attached to the gutter pipe

Around 16” is could be deeper could be less

Around 16” is could be deeper could be less
Shaun , I dug 20" pipe is deeper than that, so I used a long rod to the left of the pipe hoping to get resistance from a pipe which may be connected but there was nothing so looks like there's no pipe unless it's over 3ft deep , is there no way the original pipe can be used or any other way to do it ,

So it goes to the right then need to dig down where it comes out the ground

So that would mean digging down & adding a run of pipe which would run 9ft left to get to the new WC , that's a lot of digging , looks like a no go for me , anyway Shaun thanks for all your help much appreciated .
Hi Shaun, thought I'd give you an update, I got a quote for the work & I was shocked at the price , here's the quote.

For us to excavate the ground to allow installation of a new underground pipework, core 110mm hole through the wall and leave pipework inside to allow a plumber to connect to will take us four days to dig the ground and reinstate the monoblock

Labour per day £760.00 + vat x four days
Materials pipe work £60.00 + vat
Materials fittings £200 + vat
Concrete £40.00 + vat
Sand £30.00 + vat

£3370.00 + vat
£4044.00 Inc Vat

If the large grey is a soil pipe, you might be able to fit a Saniflo macerator toilet with a 32mm outlet pipe running along to a boss in the grey one, all above ground.
Ghastly idea I know, but it would cost a lot less than the above!

Hi Shaun, thought I'd give you an update, I got a quote for the work & I was shocked at the price , here's the quote.

For us to excavate the ground to allow installation of a new underground pipework, core 110mm hole through the wall and leave pipework inside to allow a plumber to connect to will take us four days to dig the ground and reinstate the monoblock

Labour per day £760.00 + vat x four days
Materials pipe work £60.00 + vat
Materials fittings £200 + vat
Concrete £40.00 + vat
Sand £30.00 + vat

£3370.00 + vat
£4044.00 Inc Vat

Nearly 1k per day for a ground worker I would highly suggest you get another quote

Yes it would if you could get to clean pipe either end eg no sockets

Yes it would if you could get to clean pipe either end eg no sockets

Best to tap into the main underground drainage and install a man hole as well

Builder would be best for this (the underground pipework)
Hello again Shaun , I have fitted a underground junction & running pipe to the left for w.c.
I'm unsure which connections to use, first the one coming up from ground at that position also the one that goes through the wall , or can I justify use the 87.5 socket bends that I've been using .

How high should I centre the core drill bit inside the house,does it depend on which toilet you buy
or can you create problems if it's too high or low , I saw the diagram of a toilet it's centre was 180 mm ,
does that sound right

185mm is a stnd for a toilet so 170 from finished floor level I normally do

Drill that hole bigger so you have some play. Then when the toilet is in position and connected up with no leaks you can fill in around the pipe with mortar.

Do I need diamond core ,& clutch drill to get through the walls for the pipe , i have breeze block & thought they would be easier to get through,

On the outside as well ?

Yes for a diamond core and ideally an sds drill if it’s breeze

Hello again Shaun , I have fitted a underground junction & running pipe to the left for w.c.
I'm unsure which connections to use, first the one coming up from ground at that position also the one that goes through the wall , or can I justify use the 87.5 socket bends that I've been using .
here is an update of job finished , i ran a new drainage pipe to existing soil pipe ,job done . works well with no problems ,

Attachments

• IMG_20240319_114937.jpg
    IMG_20240319_114937.jpg
    857.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240319_115001.jpg
    IMG_20240319_115001.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 15

Reply to connecting to soil pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock