Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting washing machine to soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am connecting a washing machine in my garage directly to a cast iron soil pipe that connects to the toilet in bathroom above. I have managed to cut a hole in the cast iron pipe and have fitted a 40mm boss adapter to this. My question is can i connect the washing machine connector directly to this or do i need a u bend in between them?

Thanks

You need a trap.... unless you want your clothes smelling of sewer.

Downside to that is that the public will think you're a plumber and every dog you pass will rub itself against you thinking they have found their 'Messiah'

I hope the boss connection has been drilled at a level lower, or near base level of washing machine?
You need to pipe out of the boss and fit a trap and stand pipe, with the top of the stand pipe about 3/4 the height of the machine. You can actually buy an all in one stand pipe with trap

thanks both.

Boss hole is kind of near the top of washing machine...why would this be an issue? Im not drilling another one, it took me bloody hours!

thanks both.

Boss hole is kind of near the top of washing machine...why would this be an issue? Im not drilling another one, it took me bloody hours!

Hole should have been lower, if possible.
You will have to install the trap and then make the clipped stand pipe perhaps about a foot above that at least. Reason for that is the water pumping out needs to get a decent downwards flow before it hits a bend. Normally trap is fairly near to floor level where possible and stand pipe height of 700mm or so from floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting washing machine to soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock