Search the forum,

Discuss Constant dripping noise - video attached in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I hope you can help me please?

I have recently moved into a new home and we have a cupboard with the water tank, underfloor heating controls etc etc.

There is a constant water dripping noise - pretty loud - that I've found. Please see attached video.

iOS Video

Is this normal and if so, what is it?

Thank you!

Unfortunately, it is not normal. You need to get yourself a qualified unvented hot water engineer in to sort that for you.

Thanks for the speedy reply. It has been like this for months. I am actually away this weekend - is it safe to leave it like that for a few more days?

Any idea what it is?

Thanks again!

Is this normal and if so, what is it?

Not normal. A safety valve is operating to relieve excess pressure. Not exactly an 'emergency' requiring a 24 hour service but needs fixing promptly as you will be wasting water. If you are away for the weekend turn the water off at the main while you are away.

You don't show enough of the cylinder to be able to identify the model. If it is a 'Megaflo' it is possible that the 'air bubble' (internal expansion space) needs recharging, which can be done by the home-owner. There are instructions in the user manual that you should have been left – follow them carefully.

If following the manufacturer's instructions doesn't fix the problem you must employ a plumber (or heating engineer) with a 'G3 unvented hot water' qualification to fix this for you.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck. Much appreciated. More issues to fix :-(

Here's a shot of the cylinder

IMG_8993.JPG

Thanks Chuck. Much appreciated. More issues to fix :-(

Here's a shot of the cylinder

That's the expansion vessel for the central heating. It's the bigger (white?) hot-water cylinder we need to see. Take it from a couple of angles so the pipework is visible.

Thank you!

I don't like the look of the rusty water on the top of the storage tank. You seem to have a leak of some sort so you'll need to get a plumber to sort it out for you.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

No worries. I'd rather get it all sorted!

That rust seems really old - I think the unit has been there about 6 years. Nothing is damp or wet around the main tank now. M

That rust seems really old - I think the unit has been there about 6 years. Nothing is damp or wet around the main tank now.

I still don't like the look of it. Perhaps it's historic and has been properly prepared perhaps not. Guess wrong and you may find out the hard way how much damage water can do to a house. (Spoiler alert: It's a lot.) :)

Thanks guys. I'll try and get someone over tomorrow! If not, shall I just turn the hot water off and switch the main stopcock off to be sure?

get a g3 engineer in bud unvented systems need servicing and checking over every year , otherwise small problems turn into big ones

I still don't like the look of it. Perhaps it's historic and has been properly prepared perhaps not. Guess wrong and you may find out the hard way how much damage water can do to a house. (Spoiler alert: It's a lot.) :)

Old leak where the old expansion vessel had gone

Thanks all.

I just had a G3 plumber come out - ÂŁ100 callout fee!

Here's his findings. Can I just check the pricing for this looks reasonable / plausible as I really have no idea?

"Attended fault to unvented cylinder - found faulty pressure vessel, combi valve, pressure gauge, pressure relief valve to cylinder and fit new AIV to kitchen waste pipe"

ÂŁ700-ÂŁ800 without VAT.

Thanks!

It's not cheap, but if the plumber's got a decent reputation and you're in a region where labour is expensive, like London, it seems reasonable for bringing an 'unknown' system back up to spec. Particularly if you want it done reasonably quickly. (You do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Constant dripping noise - video attached in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock