Search the forum,

Discuss Control of second heating zone. in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I want to create a heating zone for my 4 bedrooms upstairs. I'm a bit unsure about where to put the second stat - other than the bedrooms there's just a landing at the top of the open plan stairwell - if I put it there it will be affected by the heat rising from below. Does this matter and do I actually need the second stat or can I just rely on the trvs in the bedrooms? All I want to achieve is to have the heating in the bedrooms on/off at different times to the rest of the house.

Hi, it will be, the whole 40 year old system is being replaced/repiped in stages in conjunction with renovating and extending the house. The upstairs rooms will be fed by individual 15mm branches off a 22mm manifold in the cupboard where the valves, cylinder etc will live so it's just an extra 2 port valve and the new programmer has 2 htg channels.

I just don't really know the best place for the stat - current experience tells me that the upstairs landing is as warm as the downstairs of the house so if we've had the downstairs heated all day a stat on the upstairs landing won't call for heat for the bedrooms?

I'd put the zone thermostat in the coldest bedroom, typically north-facing. (I don't like of having some rooms in a house significantly colder than others in order to avoid condensation issues.)

A disadvantage of configuring the bedrooms as an independently-controlled zone is the small amount of power that is typically needed results in short-cycling of the boiler. This makes the pipework creak with constant expansion and contraction every cycle. This can be avoided by not having a separate thermostat for the bedrooms zone but letting the downstairs thermostat control the boiler and just have a timer that switches off the bedrooms zone during the day.

If it's your own home and you use a wireless programmer-thermostat you can try various arrangements before finalising. A room with a thermostat must have at least one always on radiator, i.e. a lock-shield instead of a TRV. While experimenting you can just leave the top off a TRV and once you're happy replace it with building-regs compliant lock-shield.

Last edited:
look at the evohome as this controls each room individually, never fitted one so cant comment as to it being good or bad

Thanks, the idea of just a timer controlling the bedrooms sounds low tech enough for me (I'm not that keen on all the wireless stuff to be honest). Could I use a 2port valve (which I have) without the switching circuit and control this from channel 2 of the programmer? I know the bedrooms could only be on when the main heating is in but what we want is say 5pm till 10 for downstairs and 9pm-10 for the bedrooms, we only have it on for half an hour in the morning so that doesn't really matter.

Could I use a 2port valve (which I have) without the switching circuit and control this from channel 2 of the programmer? I know the bedrooms could only be on when the main heating is in but what we want is say 5pm till 10 for downstairs and 9pm-10 for the bedrooms, we only have it on for half an hour in the morning so that doesn't really matter.

Yes. I think you will find that arrangement and use pattern will work well. To avoid potential future confusion make sure you write a clear explanation of how the system is configured and intended to work and keep it with the documentation for your boiler, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Control of second heating zone. in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and rather dated Heatmiser DT thermostats. One of the upstairs zones is combined for the bedroom/dressing room. So that's 2 rooms, 2 manifolds, but one...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I have 2 zones - one for bedrooms upstairs and another for the living areas downstairs. Now the plastering has been finished and I am costing the combi...
Replies
Views
Hi , recently moved into a DWH Barrett home , 3 bed house . The heating is zoned but in one bedroom only upstairs with the other bedrooms controlled by downstairs . Totally pointless system . Have contacted NHBC building control who signed this off and investigating as i feel they are not in...
Replies
Views
I just installed second zone onto my ideal independent c35 original I had one hive thermostat now I added two two port valves ( with Bypass) and two hive thermostat V3 it wired into a wiring centre looking at the wiring on the boiler shall I put back the room stat/ timer loop back in as...
Replies
Views
Hi. A new house regulation for a 2 zone heating system because it's bigger that 150sqm. I'm I right in saying zone 1 should be all of the downstairs radiators and zone 2 all of the upstairs radiators ? I have thermostat room programmer down the stairs and another one upstairs. I think the two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock