Search the forum,

Discuss Cost of commisioning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I have a ball park figure to install a 2nd hand oil boiler 30kw Worcester.
Can buy it at a very good price but would need commisioning. I will do as much as possible but need an oil man to do the technical bits.

I wouldn't unless I knew the history

Not worth the risk fella without history and even then probably not

Why the negativity? Boiler is just 5 years old only removed as gas now available in the property.

Because it is a used appliance. As above you will be lucky to find someone that will do it for you. I’m not oil trained only gas but the same logic and reasoning still apply.

It’s not being negative. We are all about safety. Yours and your family’s

Maybe used but only 5 years old there must be thousands of boilers way older that have not been maintained in ages. What is that condemns it out of hand?

It’s not being negative. We are all about safety. Yours and your family’s
Totally agree but if installed and commisioned by a qualifed guy where is the problem. Do we condemn all 5 year plus boilers?

You don’t know it’s history, it’s upkeep, whether it was installed and set up correctly the first time. Has it been damaged in removing

It’s not the age that’s the problem it’s the history or lack of it

You don’t know it’s history, it’s upkeep, whether it was installed and set up correctly the first time. Has it been damaged in removing
Just to add
Will it go back on the wall correctly
How long has it been sat in someone’s garage
Was the system flushed in the first instance
The fact if it breaks down in 2 weeks you would be straight on the phone saying. “You know that boiler you fitted for me the other Week”

If someone fits it you to the MI and there's a problem with the boiler who you going to call, the installer. Not worth the hassle. Boilers don't like being moved.

I will admit I have installed plenty of used oil boilers, some fairly new and some quite old, but none of them give any bother.
All were basic non condensing boilers.
Massive difference between the cost of a brand new oil boiler and flue etc, and just the cost of a used boiler that might connect to existing flue, if it is okay.
If we can buy a second hand car and with a little maintainence, put it on the road, I see no problem installing a used oil boiler if it is to regs.
There isn't much difference from doing a full service/repair on an old oil boiler and installing one. You still have to stand over the boiler you worked on.

Last edited:
I will admit I have installed plenty of used oil boilers, some fairly new and some quite old, but none of them give any bother.
All were basic non condensing boilers.
Massive difference between the cost of a brand new oil boiler and flue etc, and just the cost of a used boiler that might connect to existing flue, if it is okay.
If we can buy a second hand car and with a little maintainence, put it on the road, I see no problem installing a used oil boiler if it is to regs.
There isn't much difference from doing a full service/repair on an old oil boiler and installing one. You still have to stand over the boiler you worked on.

Forgive my ignorance I don't have anything to do with oil, Do the same rules apply as with gas, namely if we commission a DIY fitted boiler or a second hand one the gas supply becomes our problem, does the same apply to the oil supply is it down to you to check & test the safety of the oil lines, and would you then be libel if there were any leaks ??

Forgive my ignorance I don't have anything to do with oil, Do the same rules apply as with gas, namely if we commission a DIY fitted boiler or a second hand one the gas supply becomes our problem, does the same apply to the oil supply is it down to you to check & test the safety of the oil lines, and would you then be libel if there were any leaks ??

The oil lines wouldn't be the responsibility of the service engineer, except work done on oil line at service or anything left obviously wrong, like a visibly rotten oil line for example, or old oil hoses that should have been replaced. (But I wouldn't want to test it in court.)
So different than gas to some extent.
An oil boiler replacement perhaps connecting to an old oil line could be the responsibility of the installer. That is why I would prefer to replace the entire oil pipe if possible, but rarely easy and customers wouldn't normally want any disruption to their gardens.
Gas work appears to be justifiably concentrating heavily on gas supply pipe for leak tests etc.
Oil is more about air supply to burner (if not balanced flue), oil tank location and base, remote firevalve, and obviously same as with gas, flue pipe and condense pipe termination.
Overall the oil work is still heavily regulated, but not enforced properly and all we have is a paper exercise to avoid responsibility.

Fitting a any boiler to a used flue is like fitting used brake pads to your car, bonkers. We are talking about people's lives not just regulations. Not saying there is anything wrong with the used boiler just need to make sure anything to do with safety is spot on.

Can buy it at a very good price but would need commisioning.
Totally agree but if installed and commisioned by a qualifed guy where is the problem. Do we condemn all 5 year plus boilers?

The reason you can buy it at a very good price is because as above very few professionals are prepared to fit them.

If everybody was prepared to, then all second hand boilers would have a far higher value and would be snapped up as soon as they are available.

I'm sure most people above who are refusing, would agree to refit if it was within the same property, they'd serviced it before, and it was less than 2 years old.

The secondhand boiler is going to need a new flue, is it still available?

And No, not all 5 year old boilers , that haven't been removed from the wall, stored and transported are condemed.

P.S. I'm Commercial only not Domestic and I wouldn't re-fit a £5000 Commercial boiler with unknown history.

The issue with this is the commissioning bit.
Customer comes to me and wants a second hand boiler.
First. Pressure test to confirm it's sound.
Second. Non of this I'll do as much as I can I just need it commissioning. It's either I fit it and correct any issues or jog on.
Third. It may be commissioned but not registered with building control.
Fourth. It will cost you a small fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cost of commisioning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock