Search the forum,

Discuss Couple of question for knowledgable types.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
e37af87c55.jpg

What is this fella? Not seen one like it before. Custard wants a PRV fitted after stopcock (pictured on pipe on right) as pressure very high and neighbours in neighbouring flats have had them fitted. Is it ok to do so? I'm guessing it's just like a modern fortic?

e38a04c01a.jpg

Apols for poor pic but it's hidden within tiny hatch behind a toilet so best I could do. It's an old stopcock and is the type that has two crutch heads within one stopcock body (i remember reading on here once what the two are for but can't remember.)

I want to replace it but what I noticed is the nuts on the stopcock look massive even though the pipe is 15mm/half inch. So is there going to be some sort of weird olive or reducer or soldered thing with a flat washer or some other annoyance or - if I can get the old olive off - should I be able to just put on a new stopcock? I'm pressuming the original nut threads are not going to work on a modern stopcock.

Thanks for any advice

thermal store mate

and yes either cut the old olives off (if its not flared) or solder and extend up if you can

Can you safely fit a PRV on incoming main before thermal store if pressure too high at taps/shower?

Yes not a problem

Think of direct unvented cylinder but other way round heating water in cylinder, hot water in coil/ heat exchanger

And yeah, I see that now, it does look like that.

I've never plucked up courage to do that because I'd be worried I wouldn't get a good match and then when I finally do I'd find the seating was not right and so it doesn't shut off fully anyway and would end up wasting loads of time and have to change the stopcock anyway.

But it would be quicker if I knew it would work. Although it's an older lady so was thinking a lever valve better as she could work it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Couple of question for knowledgable types.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
My family and I live in a bungalow, we have lived there for nearly five years. The property was built in 1964. I want to turn off the water supply so I can install a washing machine, the other place where we lived had modern fittings at the back of the washing machine to stop the water. We...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would expect and the engineer broke of the handle. Luckily it seems you can close the valve with some pliers on the but I don't believe this is best for...
Replies
Views
I have an underground stopcock that is leaking a lot through the gland. I have dug down three foot to access the stopcock as I also want to move the 28mm black plastic pipe two feet to the right as well as be sure what was leaking the pipes or the gland. The tap is brass with brass nuts. What is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock