Search the forum,

Discuss customer avoiding paying. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your removing it from someone else's property your snookered son

start money claims if i was you

Or option b expanding foam down flue

Have you got any emails & texts & other communication from him? Keep all this & get it all in print.
He asked you to do the job & was there for a while as you worked. The labourer would be a witness.
I would suspect the Small Claims court would look favourably on you. He has not paid you any money so far & he would have to alledge that there was faulty workmanship- which he would have to prove in court. A contract can be verbal. It simply requires an agreed job at an agreed reward. Only real problem with a verbal contract is proving it. Did anyone witness you giving a price etc?
Try getting the landlord to reply to your texts & he might say the wrong thing & hang himself.
Small claims is a straightforward process

how can i be committing an offense if i own the boiler

Difficult one, but if you still have a key & remove the boiler providing the place is unoccupied, then it's your word against the landlord owner. After all, - you are not finished the install & you have decided the boiler is not the right one! :wink:

Unsure if it has changed but back in the days of squatters rights a "fixing" was anything secured via a nail.

Anything screwed was fair game.

Unfortunately you are neither a squatter nor living in 1807. So down the legal channel. The texts should be enough to secure a ruling in your favour but you must behave and keep everything professional

Put in the legal letter your intent to place an order on his property if payment cannot be made. And once an order is placed you could force a sail of the property to settle the debt.

Years ago ago this wouldn't of been able to happen but I believe there is a case recently where this happened over £1200 or as close as

Wait till he moves some tenants in, knock on the door, say you installed the boiler and need to do a check of some sort. Cap it off quick. You'll get paid once the tenants get onto him.

Or or put a charge on his property.

block condensate....
do not mess about if you have a key,empty or not,go in cap gas safely,under cap leaving note saying boiler removed as not paid for the next fitter to see and remove boiler and wait from call from landlord,he pays in advance or let him go else were,do not hang around ,the longer you leave,the worse it could get...if you get caught in property by police and explain ,all that will happen is you will be asked to leave,this is a civil mater and they do not want to get involved,this has only happened to me once in a lot of years,i scaled the scaffolding at night ,entered flat and removed boiler and dropped it by rope out of fourth floor window..the landlord rang with threats and rants,nothing happened as he is not going to take me to court ,as he was trying to pull a fast one and as said police not interested as civil matter
basically sit on ya but and let the landlord take the p..ss or act now..if you do not forget it ..you have paid for a nice new boiler for him....

Hes not contaced me all week so has no intention of paying so i cant see him pursuing it if i did manage to rem9ve the boiler

remove boiler,fit it on another job ..all good...all you have lost is a bot of labour...not a £1000 boiler..mine was a worcester...i could not stand that..wait to long and you lose your advantage..hard but this os the real world
stop thinking about the money you gain once paid start thinking about your loses when he carries on not to pay

i would be straight in there if i had the key.it would take about 15 minutes to take back what you have paid for he is a lousy crook.also contact gassafe they should cancel the certificate.

block condensate....
do not mess about if you have a key,empty or not,go in cap gas safely,under cap leaving note saying boiler removed as not paid for the next fitter to see and remove boiler and wait from call from landlord,he pays in advance or let him go else were,do not hang around ,the longer you leave,the worse it could get...if you get caught in property by police and explain ,all that will happen is you will be asked to leave,this is a civil mater and they do not want to get involved,this has only happened to me once in a lot of years,i scaled the scaffolding at night ,entered flat and removed boiler and dropped it by rope out of fourth floor window..the landlord rang with threats and rants,nothing happened as he is not going to take me to court ,as he was trying to pull a fast one and as said police not interested as civil matter
basically sit on ya but and let the landlord take the p..ss or act now..if you do not forget it ..you have paid for a nice new boiler for him....

him not paying is a civil matter, you removing the boiler becomes a criminal matter and the police can and will take action if your caught, against you. The law can be an bum!!

If you've got a key you can always make a copy return his key and let the local junkies have a copy
and get them to retrieve your boiler for an amount

Just get a solicitor involved.
Its going to cost you, but you have no choice.
Get the solicitor to write a letter and show transcripts of the text messages.

He may pay you if he feels that he doesn't have a leg to stand on if it goes to court.

Next time... provide a written quote with payment terms explained and get them to sign it.
And get a % of the cost of the job as a deposit.

It makes it so much easier for you in court if you have these basic things in place.

I know - I was in court 3 times last year for much the same thing

If there is an outside tap connect a garden hose and stick it in the flue you may lose out on your money but at least he doesnt get a fre boiler

Try this,
Text him and say "don't worry about the invoice, I've been back and broke in, took the boiler but forgot to put the water off, the place is flooded, too bad,"
Then wait outside the property he's sure to appear as quick as he can, then at least you can get him face to face to say, pay me or let me take the boiler back, or if not this will happen for real, just don't text him a second time to say it's done, if you are asked about the first text, it was just a wind up wasn't it

Sealing disk at the gas meter would be a good one. Non destructive and easily reversed.

i have done this twas about five year ago , done a repair on a baxi pump had gone ping invoiced the cust (knew him through a mate) never got paid .

He claimed boiler still never worked so wasn't paying even tho i found out he was lying (same mate told me)

Waited a few weeks then went out disc in meter , my friend told me he was furious as he called out another engineer who charged him to take a disc out lol

Unfortunately, as you've not got a contract, and therefore you've given no cooling off period, the small claims court won't rule in your favour as its illegal to fail to give the notice of cooling off period under the doorstep selling regulations. The only exemption in this case from the DSR's is if the customer has called in to your office and booked you to come and do the job from there. If you've gone to him, either by his request or otherwise, the law isn't on your side. The other exemption is if the whole job is under £35 plus vat, but that's unlikely in almost all cases.

The DSR's are a pain, and you should always give the written cooling off period and if you ever need to start the work within the COP, you must get a form signed, called an opt-out form.
cooling off period only applies to consumers(joe public)
landlord is classed as business so this shouldnt be an issue if you take him to court. but if you have the key get a copy. take boiler out kick the door in to make it look like a burglary. deny all knowedge

cooling off period only applies to consumers(joe public)
landlord is classed as business so this shouldnt be an issue if you take him to court. but if you have the key get a copy. take boiler out kick the door in to make it look like a burglary. deny all knowedge
and leave the water on

maybe leave a camp fire burning in one of the bedrooms

Last edited:
snap the door lock , go in , remove the boiler , change the locks and before you leave put a plug in the sink and block the overflow and open taps, lock the doors on your way out and drop the keys down a gutter somewhere...... didn't force yourself in did you!!! house is still locked, and the key you have don't open it!! so how could it be you??

snap the door lock , go in , remove the boiler , change the locks and before you leave put a plug in the sink and block the overflow and open taps, lock the doors on your way out and drop the keys down a gutter somewhere...... didn't force yourself in did you!!! house is still locked, and the key you have don't open it!! so how could it be you??

I like it. Now you're suckin diesel!

I wouldn't get too upset as its only been a week. Most people are use to 30 day terms, especially when it's business to business. I had one the other day which took about 3 months, what's cocks

Standard legal payment terms are 28 days as far as I know. I always put 7 days on my invoices but still get the odd awkward sod who waits longer. That said if I had a key & got spooke dby his behaviour I would go in & get the boiler. Can't be a break in if you have a key.

If I had a key, I would be going back in and taking the boiler, had a landlord screw me the once , in fact I think he screws everyone , the kitchen fitter supplied and fitted a kitchen without payment too
I turned the water off outside and filled it with concrete ��

All I can say - from experience - is that as soon as you get vindictive or malicious, you are stuffed.
If you enter, try to enter, remove your property, cause any damage to the property and are caught, seen by anyone, you will end up in front of a Judge.

The Judge will look at what you tried / attempted to do, damaged, or in the eyes of the Law, stolen from the property.

He will not care about you not being paid because that is not a criminal issue!

You will become liable for the repair of the damage caused by you and probably have to replace the boiler if you managed to remove it.

I know a Plumber who did this, it has cost him a small fortune and he has ended up with 3 criminal convictions out of the saga.

Give the Landlord another couple of weeks to pay, but I would get your Solicitor to start the ball rolling.

And next time - try and protect yourself prior to starting any work for anyone

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to customer avoiding paying. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock