Search the forum,

Discuss Customer buying own invented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have a customer who's neighbour works at a plumbers merchants.

He has told my customer it is better to have an external expansion vessel as lots of his customers at the merchants have said they have had problems with internal ones.

Have any of you had problems with internal?

One more thing off the top of your heads do you think I would get enough flow rate through a black 20mm plastic pipe. I have been to check yet.

Prefer external they don't loose the bubble like megas do

And yes just should be around 20-25 lpm

sorry to say everything these days is designed to fail after x amount of years normally 5 years on small items nothing goes past 10 years without problems tho :(

keeps us in work tho i guess so theres an up side

I find the external expansion vessels need their air charge topped up once a year. But that's fine if unvented unit gets a yearly service.
Just be aware that the potable expansion vessels are not normally stainless steel, but use a balloon membrane for to hold the mains water in and keep it from contacting mild steel.
When the balloon membrane ruptures, the mains water will rust the vessel and eventually high pressure mains flood. So replace the expansion vessels after 5 years, some MIs state.

I think, when I go to look at the job I am going to stick to the bubble top. easy to recharge and no possible damage from ruptured external membrane expansion vessel. I prefer the bubble top anyway.

So did any of you have any problems with the bubble tops?

I think, when I go to look at the job I am going to stick to the bubble top. easy to recharge and no possible damage from ruptured external membrane expansion vessel. I prefer the bubble top anyway.

So did any of you have any problems with the bubble tops?

I have read on here from some plumbers that the floating baffle failed on some units. But that could always be solved by then reverting to an external potable vessel fitted, if manufacturer permits.
Personally I prefer the external vessel, but I think it is crazy to be made of steel

I have read on here from some plumbers that the floating baffle failed on some units. But that could always be solved by then reverting to an external potable vessel fitted, if manufacturer permits.

Megaflo Ecos currently come with a lifetime warranty for the original owner, or 30 years if the house changes hands:

Product warranty

One can never be sure about what's going to happen in the future, of course, but this suggests to me that the manufacturer is confident that they're properly made and are going to last.

I notice that lifetime warranty is only for unit corrosion. All other parts are just 2 - 5 years warranty.
Megaflo are the cost of 2 - or even as much as 3, of some other brands of unvented cylinders though.

And you think the warrenty is going to hold up manufactures don't even reliably fix there own boilers under warranty

Blame the installer
Blame the water quality
Hasn't been serviced every year
Blame someone else

Realistically anything over 3 years is pants

as a retired plumber (still working part time.) with 50 years on the tools megaflows are the way to go, have fitted dozens over the years, never had a prob even in hard water areas ,S/Steel and a long warranty. just check the incoming flow rate .pref min 1.5 bar. good luck.

as a retired plumber (still working part time.) with 50 years on the tools megaflows are the way to go, have fitted dozens over the years, never had a prob even in hard water areas ,S/Steel and a long warranty. just check the incoming flow rate .pref min 1.5 bar. good luck.

Sorry to say bud 1.5 bar isn't enough for an unvented system min 2-2.5bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customer buying own invented cylinder. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Do most composite valves now for unvented cylinders have a tee on them For the expansion valve connection? The ones I used to fit just had the balanced cold connection coming of it. Them I tee'd off downstream of the composite valve for the expansion
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all. So I have an OSO Super SXD 180 immersion heater and it is pouring a huge amount of water out of the cold water pressure relief valve regardless of whether the tank is heating or not. We're talking litres a minute currently. I have replaced the valve which changed nothing. I have...
Replies
Views
Has anyone worked to the txn150pterp kingspan unvented cylinders? They have an internal expansion bubble like the megaflows I believe. To repressurise the internal expansion bubble am I correct in saying turn the power off to the immersion/heating turn water off. Then open lowest tap to drain...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock