Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Customer wants to claim for a tv off my insurance in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larington

Larington New Member

Hi guys and gals,

title says it all really, I was working in the bathroom; retiling, fitting a new shower etc. the customer says the tv has a crack in the screen. I never worked in the lounge, but obviously have no proof. I'm fairly new so really don't want any bad press as it were And nearly all my business comes from repeat or recommended. I'm considering just paying out for it (some good deals out there for TVs) but what would the costs and future costs be? Ie any ideas how much my premium would go up by?

I know now I should continue my innocence, but to strangers I could always look like the one in the wrong. (You know how some people always have a negative attitude to trade even though, like me, we are hard working and good at the job etc)

anvhelp would be appreciated, even better would be someone in this position before!

Cheers peeps

2. Dotty

Dotty Guest

Tell them to jog on.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

Deff tell them they are having a giraffe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ch4 plumbing

Ch4 plumbing Plumber GSR

Chancers!

• Like Like x 1
  5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is it April the 1st already, tell them to 'DO ONE'

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

I would buy a tv, cut the box and had it to them and as soon as you have handed it over let it dropout of box and smash. Obviously they just signed a waiver and you got reciprocal.

7. turnpin

turnpin Trusted Plumber

Was the t.v in the bathroom then?..tell them to foxtrot oscar...regards Turnpin:17:

8. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

So you never entered the lounge and nothing came through the ceiling what are you some kind of magic man?

9. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

It's not a case of future Insurance costs possibly rising.
    If your Insurance company doesn't think you're liable they won't pay out, if you've already paid it'll be your direct loss.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Was the tv on the opposite side of the bathroom wall?
    If it wasn't then tell them to try it on with someone else!
    Remember if you do just pay them to finish it, then that is
    virtually admitting liability & they can blacken your name &
    tell everyone that you carelessly broke their tv

• Like Like x 1
  11. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

tell them your insurers want their insurance details to sort it (they wont have any!).
    your insurers will charge you your excess to investigate.
    lastly, the customer spots a gullible plumber (thats you). bet the place looks a tip?

tell them to explain how you did it then tell them to sod off!!!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

As said tell them to go forth and multiply
    And walk away because they won't pay you if they starting that crap

13. galaxy_plumbing

galaxy_plumbing Plumber GSR

you'll be lucky if you get paid for the job

• Like Like x 1
  14. Best

I was involved with a similar attempted insurance claim. I won't go into too much detail, except to say that customer wanted insurance contacts as a vinyl floor was damaged when work was done. When it was pointed out to her that nobody had been near that part of house, she immediately said she must have done it moving a freezer!

15. albatross

albatross Guest

And if they get a tv out of you it teaches them to try the same scam with every tradesman they ever use in the future.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Best

Exactly! It may mean you have a lot of bother fighting your corner, but it hopefully will put them of trying it again with some other poor tradesman if you win.
    I had a customer who walks over everybody try it on me & I stood my ground & taught them a lesson they won't forget. Well worth the time I wasted.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mrs Tara Plumbi

Mrs Tara Plumbi Guest

They probably do - learn the lesson - there are a few of these types out there want everything for nothing and expect to claim something off everyone.
    I bet they complain everytime they go to a restaurant to try and get a free meal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. julesverne

julesverne Guest

Go to the police station report it as a crime obtaining goods by deception. If copper refuses or doesnt seem interested then ask for pc no. Then tell him you will report to the ipcc for failing to investigate a crime, a policeman legal responsibilty under the police act. They tend to show a bit more interest when you say that

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chris F

Chris F Plumber GSR

Pack your tools and leave, sound like a right bunch of scratters. I wouldnt worry about your rep mate, your rep will be worse if they mug you off.

20. Plumbstar Tom

Plumbstar Tom Well-Known Member

Hey I reckon you have damaged my sky box too as it's not working now can you pay for that too hehe. Stand your ground soldier. Unfortunately you will get customers like this and you need to be strong. I hope you still get paid but please don't buy them a TV. If it comes to it tell them you will turn up to discuss and if they remain as they are start uninstalling your work

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dannypipe

Dannypipe Trusted Plumber GSR

I had one just as weird. Had a call, and a letter from a company saying a sub contractor of mine called Jack Somthing (had never heard of him) was suing me as at Gatwick Hilton Hotel (never worked there) he had a stack of plaster boards fall on him and crush his legs.

They didn't know my name but had my address and phone number (obviously from the website).

They were one of these "accident at work" firms.

First they sent a letter. Then called and spoke to the wife, who said I hadn't worked there, so it was a mistake. Then they called again, and then I called them. I said:

You don't even know my name. I've never heard of your client, and have never worked at Gatwick Hilton. Their response:

Give us your insurance details anyway incase it turns out you are responsible so we can get the claim sorted. I told them to eff off, and I'm not a mug. Shock horror, never heard from them again. Must think I was born yesterday.

• Like Like x 3
  22. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

when i worked direct for a company i got told i had to pay £5 for a tea mug that had been broken. It was on a coffee table that i knocked over because 3 of its legs were not fixed to the top. I told my gaffa id rather have the sack then pay up.

• Like Like x 2
  23. missplumb

missplumb Plumber

i was once accused of taking some hoover attachments from a cutomers house!!( which i flatly denied), after a bit of wrangling and refusal to go back therewhen there was a fault with the system, my boss "ordered" me to return and sort it out with the customer face to face (its a bit more difficult for them to accuse in person), sure enough they backed down and instaed said it must have been my apprentice who took them.Weeks passed then got a call from office on Monday morning saying the customer had rang in and said the hoover parts mysteriously turned up left on her doorstep on sunday morning!!!!!!
    she even had the cheek to demand one of the service engineers give her his Henry as i had made her Dyson unusuable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. wetdrip

wetdrip Plumber

If I'm ever diagnosed with a terminal illness, I'd hunt that lot down and end them.
    People like that make my blood boil.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Chris F

Chris F Plumber GSR

Now :) here is a man on the same page as me.

• Like Like x 1
  26. wetdrip

wetdrip Plumber

I'll bet my list's longer than yours:)

27. Chris F

Chris F Plumber GSR

Hahaha :)

28. Dannypipe

Dannypipe Trusted Plumber GSR

Good man! My sentiments exactly.

29. jjmmcc

jjmmcc GSR

I like this solution,
    How would you stand regarding your future no claims, as the Insurer would dismiss the claim

30. SafeGasInstall

SafeGasInstall Plumber GSR

I need new TV , can you get me one too if they are so cheap this days ?

• Like Like x 2
  31. Ch4 plumbing

Ch4 plumbing Plumber GSR

Ill have a piece of that pie, if you have a claim in bung £1k on for me I'll get a coffee machine too!

32. Philipweson

Philipweson Guest

You said that you have no proof that you didn't damage the TV, you are correct in that, however if is the customer to offer you some proof that you did damage the TV. there is probably a clause in you liability insurance to inform them as soon as possible in the event of a possible claim.

if you delay in informing the insurance they may not pay out on the claim, however they should only pay on a claim where you are negligent in your duty, i say should. there may be an excess to pay in any event.

I would put it in writing to your customers, setting out that you are not accepting any liability without prejudice, advise them that you will put the claim into your insurance, could they put a statement together which sets out their evidence and how they feel you are negligent.

If your customers do give you a statement, then put it to your insurance and see if they pay. you should advise your insurance straight away and follow their advice after all they dont want to pay out if possible and it is for your customer to show their case.

Thats what your insurance is for, let them deal with it.

33. Honesthomer

Honesthomer Guest

Do people really try cheap tricks like this? Whats the world coming too.

34. WHPES

WHPES Trusted Plumber GSR

Sounds like a scam. Ignore them and walk away. Their only redress is trying to take you to court and claim for the value of the TV which they won't do as they cannot prove it was you who damaged it and if it was in somewhere where nobody had been they have no case.

The other poster who had the claims company ring up - they may have been fraudsters after personal or bank details and not a claims company at all.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  35. TFGplumbing

TFGplumbing Plumber GSR

I had one that wanted me to write a report on a heatslave 18/25 (heat bank leaking) saying the reason it was leaking was because she had fell into it, so she could claim on her house insurance.

No thats insurance fraud & highly illegal.

Rogue Traders... more like rogue customers.

OP don't not let these swindlers claim for a new 52'' plasma super duper tv, on your insurance they watch enough Jeremy Kyle as it is.