Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Customer wants to claim for a tv off my insurance in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Larington

Larington New Member

Hi guys and gals,

title says it all really, I was working in the bathroom; retiling, fitting a new shower etc. the customer says the tv has a crack in the screen. I never worked in the lounge, but obviously have no proof. I'm fairly new so really don't want any bad press as it were And nearly all my business comes from repeat or recommended. I'm considering just paying out for it (some good deals out there for TVs) but what would the costs and future costs be? Ie any ideas how much my premium would go up by?

I know now I should continue my innocence, but to strangers I could always look like the one in the wrong. (You know how some people always have a negative attitude to trade even though, like me, we are hard working and good at the job etc)

anvhelp would be appreciated, even better would be someone in this position before!

Cheers peeps

2. Dotty

Dotty Guest

Tell them to jog on.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

Deff tell them they are having a giraffe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ch4 plumbing

Ch4 plumbing Plumber GSR

Chancers!

• Like Like x 1
  5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is it April the 1st already, tell them to 'DO ONE'

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

I would buy a tv, cut the box and had it to them and as soon as you have handed it over let it dropout of box and smash. Obviously they just signed a waiver and you got reciprocal.

7. turnpin

turnpin Trusted Plumber

Was the t.v in the bathroom then?..tell them to foxtrot oscar...regards Turnpin:17:

8. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

So you never entered the lounge and nothing came through the ceiling what are you some kind of magic man?

9. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

It's not a case of future Insurance costs possibly rising.
    If your Insurance company doesn't think you're liable they won't pay out, if you've already paid it'll be your direct loss.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Was the tv on the opposite side of the bathroom wall?
    If it wasn't then tell them to try it on with someone else!
    Remember if you do just pay them to finish it, then that is
    virtually admitting liability & they can blacken your name &
    tell everyone that you carelessly broke their tv

• Like Like x 1
  11. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

tell them your insurers want their insurance details to sort it (they wont have any!).
    your insurers will charge you your excess to investigate.
    lastly, the customer spots a gullible plumber (thats you). bet the place looks a tip?

tell them to explain how you did it then tell them to sod off!!!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

As said tell them to go forth and multiply
    And walk away because they won't pay you if they starting that crap

13. galaxy_plumbing

galaxy_plumbing Plumber GSR

you'll be lucky if you get paid for the job

• Like Like x 1
  14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I was involved with a similar attempted insurance claim. I won't go into too much detail, except to say that customer wanted insurance contacts as a vinyl floor was damaged when work was done. When it was pointed out to her that nobody had been near that part of house, she immediately said she must have done it moving a freezer!

15. albatross

albatross Guest

And if they get a tv out of you it teaches them to try the same scam with every tradesman they ever use in the future.

• Like Like x 4