Search the forum,

Discuss Cut a 300mm hole in lath and plaster ceiling? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to fit a condensation control fan (PIV) into the hall ceiling. The hole needs to be about 300mm and the ceiling is lath and plaster!

Any tips for cutting the ceiling without damaging the surrounding lath and plaster?
Cheers

Slowly slowly catchy monkey. I have had success in the past with a really good sharp blade on a fein saw just don't push too hard and let the blade do the work. Some of these lath Jobs unfortunately Are just destined to fall down so it may just need a little bit of patching

Why does it need to be 12" what fan is it?

Impossible to make neat round hole. Expect joists at 400c/c giving clear space of 350mm. This determines location of fan. Cut square hole flush with side of joists 400 long, minimum. Cut 18mm plywood to fit between joists 350X400. Screw battens to sides of joists and with 300mm hole precut in ply, screw ply to battens. Battens fixed to allow thickness of ply plus plasterboard to finish 3mm above existing ceiling. Scrim edges and plaster/ make good.
If you can get others to do the making good leave it to others. It is tempting to omit scrim and plaster flush to existing but without scrim vibration of fan will cause cracking.
Cut hole in plasterboard after plastering and making good.

Last edited:
Assuming you have full access for running pipe you could, stabilise the rear of the area you want to cut by squirting a "thin" layer of builders foam and pressing on a bit of hardboard basically turning the area into a bit of foam board, once cured it should be straightforward to cut cleanly as well as leaving good support for the fan.

Done it on smaller holes successfully but it's a large hole with weighty fan so you may need more belt n braces as recommended above.

Last edited:
Cheers all. The fan doesn't actually sit on the loft side of the ceiling it is hung from above on a rafter. So its just an outlet in ceiling then a flexi pipe to the actual fan unit.

dri-eco-heat_-_photography.jpg

As I suspected it's going to be a very delicate job. I like the idea of foam and ply on the loft side.

I was going to use a very fine toothed pad saw or a Dremel Spiral Cutting Bit?

Cheers for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Consider a 400X400 square of MDF, round edges and screw to ceiling, It will protrude below ceiling but, when painted, look part of the fan.

All done :). The multitool was great. Actually once I started it was easy as the ceiling had been overboarded so the laths and their plaster were all contained. So no need to worry.
Cheers for all the advice it was very helpful.

Cheers all. The fan doesn't actually sit on the loft side of the ceiling it is hung from above on a rafter. So its just an outlet in ceiling then a flexi pipe to the actual fan unit.

dri-eco-heat_-_photography.jpg

As I suspected it's going to be a very delicate job. I like the idea of foam and ply on the loft side.

I was going to use a very fine toothed pad saw or a Dremel Spiral Cutting Bit?

Cheers for the suggestions.

That's one strange looking elephant
Hope you reinforce your roof rafters if that's hanging from it :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cut a 300mm hole in lath and plaster ceiling? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock