Search the forum,

Discuss Damaged Water Pipe - What was the cause? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I'm currently in an argument about the cause of a damaged pipe which has caused further damage to the building. I would really appreciate as many opinions as possible to how people think the damage to the pipe in the picture was likely to have occurred . To reduce bias, I'm not going to say what I think, but I am going to say I think it's fairly obvious.

Thanks!!

Damaged Water Pipe.jpg

Well it’s definitely not corroded. Looks like it’s been drilled or hammered through. Could’ve been an honest mistake and picked up out of the van instead of a new one, my van can get quite untidy when really busy. Just there’s no way it could’ve been drilled/ hammered whilst hovering in air behind a pedestal

Or has it been done maliciously, have you had a dispute with someone and not necessarily the plumber?

Hi

I'm currently in an argument about the cause of a damaged pipe which has caused further damage to the building. I would really appreciate as many opinions as possible to how people think the damage to the pipe in the picture was likely to have occurred . To reduce bias, I'm not going to say what I think, but I am going to say I think it's fairly obvious.

Thanks!!

View attachment 34746
So what do you think?:p:D

Is there more background to this story?

Do you suspect foul play or someone being clumsy?

Looks to me like something has pierced it. As the braiding has been opened up.

I would say pushed from outside in. Or someone has tried to make it look that way?

Something has been pushed into that metal braiding.
The part of braiding just immediately below the hole is bent.
I don’t even think very high pressure burst would do that damage.
I wonder did someone attempt to plug the already burst hose and did that damage from outside to the braiding?

Is it a through and through?
Is there an exit wound?
What angle and coverage is the water splatter?

Yes I've watched too much CSI, it looks like it has been punctured?

There can be a lot of different circumstances before I leave a valuable comment it would be better to get more information from the poster. Such as history etc...

There can be a lot of different circumstances before I leave a valuable comment it would be better to get more information from the poster. Such as history etc...
I agree with AMG it’s not a murder mystery website , so come on op supply the hidden details and all you know Rob Foster centrakheatking

Disagree, the history may influence you, give us your best 5.

Nope my lips are firmly sealed on this issue I’m not going to say anything until I get the complete picture.

There is some form of dispute going on there’s no point getting involved. As most of you are very knowledgeable people customers are always to blame for a quick raise.

Today it is this poor guy tomorrow it could be anyone of us.

Why give them the ammunition?

Every story has two sides I’ve probably read 1/4 of the 2 sided story.

There May be a genuine mistake that’s life we’re all humans and that’s the way we learn.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I can't go into the full detail of the circumstances, but essentially if the pipe has burst, fixing the damage is down to the owner, if it's been damaged deliberately it's down to the organisation responsible for the tenants. All I have to go by is the picture.

They are trying to say that the pipe is designed to not go outwards if it bursts, as a safety feature. Seems far fetched to me. I don't know if the pipe has been bent, but if that was the case I would have expected to see a picture that shows that from the person who reported it.

The pipe has been working since the point of being installed, so damage pre install is not possible.

I agree that accidental piercing is incredibly unlikely, due to the pressure required coupled with the fact it's not resting on anything.

I can't see that it has possibly burst, as the braiding clearly goes inwards.

All that leaves is deliberate, malicious damage. It wouldn't be the first time in one of these properties.

Thanks again!!

It is a rubber hose inside a braided cover so if the rubber bursts water will escape out through the braid.
Personally I don't think it was drilled more like a small screwdriver or something sharp through the braid.

Last edited:
And if it was malicious damage, the hole in the flexi is in the exact position where someone would stick a screwdriver into it.
Somewhere further around the circumference of the flexi would have been awkward.
Just another part of the probable evidence

And if it was malicious damage, the hole in the flexi is in the exact position where someone would stick a screwdriver into it.
Somewhere further around the circumference of the flexi would have been awkward.
Just another part of the probable evidence
Night owl

Last evening I was having a pint or three with the housing director of a medium/large housing trust 800+ properties. iPad goes ping. So I showed him the ordiginal picture . His reaction ..deliberate damage with a small flat heat screwdriver worked into the flexi. By whom not our province. Good enough for me

Disagree, the history may influence you, give us your best 5.
Apologises AM, think I now understand you waited to see if the post was from a plumber or a customer.

Apologises AM, think I now understand you waited to see if the post was from a plumber or a customer.

It’s ok RPM don’t worry we need to watch out for each other. Don’t forget we all part of the same industry.

I was taught every day is a school day. We learn something new every day.

Reply to Damaged Water Pipe - What was the cause? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock