Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Dented shower hot water pipe in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi People
    Keen DIYer, retiling my bathroom so thought I'd put a new shower mixer in too, the mixer needed the water pipes rearranged which I have done, but whilst chiselling out the old mixer I dented the hot water pipe. As you can see on the pictures it's not leaking... as I have five compression joints already I didn't want to add another... question is will this be ok to cement into the wall or should I have done the job completely different?
    Thanks for taking the time to read..
    Jamie

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Firstly, why the compression joints and why in chrome?
    Also, I hope you are not using any plaster or sand and cement (definite no!) around the bare copper pipes and fittings? Cement corrodes copper.
    The dent might be okay, but does look fairly bad and I would replace it. But I would have done the copper pipes with machined bends, or/and soldered fittings and had them wrapped in something

3. Chriswareham

Chriswareham GSR

if the pipe is just dened and not fractured in an whey it should be fine it would be a good idea to wrap in denso tape before mucking in

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi best
    No particular reason I used chrome, like I said I'm a newbie and don't know any better, Are they not any Good? The pipes which you see which has the dent was buried in plaster and looked like it had been for a very long time, so naturally thought it would be ok to do the same. Should I redo the fittings? Should I get a professional in to solider them?

5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

never hid compression fittings they leak

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi Shaun
    What would you recommend if I was going to bury them?
    Thanks

7. ShaunCorbs

soldered doesnt have to be neat if you cant (use yorkshire)

8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Chromed fittings are just ordinary brass fittings chromed, so no real difference except more expensive. Just thought it odd that chrome was used where going to be hidden.
    Plaster doesn't usually do copper pipes much harm, especially if it remains dry, but best to cover copper to prevent contact with bare walls or plaster and also gives pipes some movement. Sand and cement is very corrosive to copper, particularily when damp.
    Obviously I would say they should be soldered, but lots of shower valves have compression connections and last okay if done right. Really everywhere should be solder, rather than compression, where possible.

9. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Thanks for the info Best..
    I think I might redo it all, after talking to you guys, it's making me a bit concerned. Don't want it leaking behind the tiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi Guys
    Just thought i'd give you an update, Thanks for all your help, much appreciated...
    I went to my local Homebase store and bought the right tools for the job and redone the pipes, now i'm ready for tiling.. didn't turn out too bad... should have done it in the first place.
    Thanks Again...

IMG-20170518-WA0000.jpg

20170520_171901.jpg

20170522_202943.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. ShaunCorbs

Much better top job

• Like Like x 1
  12. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Did you do a pressure test for drips / leaks before covering the new joints?

13. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Hi
    I plumbed shower in and had it working for a few days before filling in.. no leaks...
    Is that a pressure test?

14. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Er, not exactly however I`m sure any leaks would of shown up over time and use so hopefully it will be ok or was the tape on the pipes then?

15. Itsmeuknow

Itsmeuknow New Member

Newbie, how should U have pressure test it... I put the tape on after, just before filling it.