Search the forum,

Discuss Differences between plastic push fit brands? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I’m about to embark on a small domestic plumbing project (moving 3 rads + 1 new) and just wondering what your experienced views are around the differences between the main plastic push fit brands available?

Speedfit, Hep2O, Polypipe etc?

They all seem the same to me apart from slight differences in price - anyone brand better in terms of quality and and ease of installation?

Thanks in advance
Dan

All three are up to British standards and will work fine. Personally I have a lot of faith in the JG Speedfit range as that it what I stock our training college with. These fittings are likely to only be used once and demounted rarely if ever in your situation. However as we reuse as much materials as we can, our Speedfit fittings and pipe get re-used many times, dozens of times at least and hundreds of times demounted (no tools needed), re-connected and pressure tested with the ones on our pressure tester. We rarely if ever get a failure even with this abuse of fittings.

I am sure, absolutely sure ;-) that others here will have their own opinions which is of course a good thing so we can get several different points of view. If you can't tell Speedfit gets my vote!

At home I had a diy need to unite hep20 and jgspeedfit, not a source of joy initially. So pick one and use it throughout would be my advice :) .

The brands do mix but if you are worried about joining one system to another, you can just use a small section of copper to transition because all brands are fine with copper.

Obviously if you are starting from scratch it's certainly best to stick to one manufacturer.

The brands do mix but if you are worried about joining one system to another, you can just use a small section of copper to transition because all brands are fine with copper.

Yep, that's what I did to fix it - a copper dmz :)

Not a lover of anything plastic , but when needs must I suppose.

I used to use speedfit until one unscrewed itself.
Personally I like the design of Hep and those are the ones I use today ...... when I have to

For me hep as well, but also in worst case scenarios.

Sorry, I do not want to steal the thread though would like to know what other poeple think about tectite fittings? As far as I can judge these are great but not cheap

If it was a new install, or if an existing all copper system, then I would use all copper.
You are only using second best if adding plastic push fit plumbing to a copper heating system, in my opinion.
I have known failures with all plastic push fit fittings, some causes unknown.
The Speedfit seem to be reliable, but I use Speedfit stopends for plugging pipe ends when working on pipes or as a temporary extra precaution after a valve (I don’t trust them for anything permanent) and eventually the grip fails inside them. Very handy though.

They all work well if installed correctly. Installed incorrectly being almost 100% the reason why there is problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Differences between plastic push fit brands? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows the brand of this push fit? I've tried several different searches on google but I cant find anything similar. And also is the plastic pipe polybutylene or else? I was interested to see how the copper pipe could be release if it needed to be in the...
Replies
Views
S
I live in the UK and I need to buy a shower door to fit in a 915mm gap between two walls of my shower room. Most 900mm shower doors available here have 30-to-40mm inward adjustments to fit in a space that is slightly narrower than 900mm, or to address wall unevenness, but not outward...
Replies
Views
Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated "mini house" with an insulated, heat-taped plenum taking the poly from below frost line up into the space between floor joists. But, power outages...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock