Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss DIY Guide To Installing a Wetroom. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. phil the bucket

phil the bucket Guest

The pebble effect looks good also

2. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Just be careful not to use mosaics on expanded foam tray formers as the point loading is too high.
    50mm x 50mm is generally the smallest you can go. Solid shower formers are ok for anything smaller than that.

3. Alanc

Alanc Plumber

Croft do you have any more pics taken at the early stages, eg the wetroom tray ?. Your posts 4,5 & 6 pictures not showing.

4. cr0ft

cr0ft Trusted Plumber GSR

Hi all. Sadly not, I only thought to make a guide of it once the floor was down!! Not sure what is going on with the pictures, I uploaded them through the forum and they seemed to work to start with. Will try and finish the guide off when I get time. The finished photos look nice, except the customer wanted to re-use her existing sanitaryware which spoils the look somewhat imo :(

5. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

don't you just hate customers when they do that?

6. cr0ft

20131101_202448.jpg

This photo shows the wetroom floor and also my foot (less interesting). You can see the slope on the floor created by the diagonal cuts. These cuts are made using a good quality wet cutter so it doesn't chip the tiles at all. In our case, we use a Dewalt table saw wet cutter, in our opinion the best one on the market.

Never force the tile through a wet cutter, let the blade do the work. Always ensure water is being jetted onto the part of the tile being cut for the cleanest finish.

You also need to make sure the grout you use is suitable for the wet cut grout lines (around 1mm wide) and the normal grout lines (4-6mm usually for floors).

7. cr0ft

20131101_202441.jpg
    Fittings and fixtures can cause problems in wetrooms. Any holes drilled in the wall to fit them will damage the tanking. An assessment should be made of whether or not this is likely to be an issue. These fittings are on the opposite side of the wetroom to the shower and are all high enough that they should see no direct water spray from the shower. With this in mind we were happy to fit them with rawlplugs and screws. The alternative for fittings near the shower is to use fittings that connect with a suction cup.

8. cr0ft

And that's our wetroom story complete. Sadly the customer wanted the existing sanitaryware, mirror and shower reused. We were happy to do this but it did of course spoil the finished look. I hope this guide is useful to some and persuades any less capable DIYers to get a professional in and save money in the long term!

For anyone in the Lincolnshire county looking for a wetroom quote, just get in touch :)

9. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

excellent Kieran thanks for taking the time to do this. i am going to make this a sticky and put it in the bathroom forum.

10. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

nice set of instructions for all to understand, youll be snapped up by a college soon

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Wasn't everyone against a diyer doing a wet room? Top job. Excellent pictures (excluding foot)

12. Thepipdoc

Thepipdoc Guest

Excellent - well written and easily understood.

13. Thepipdoc

Thepipdoc Guest

Assuming some water does get through the grout, isn’t this the start of the problems that will no doubt follow? Any water that manages to get through will sit between a tile and membrane sandwich and evaporation will be virtually nil due to there being no air. Is it not possible to seal the grout so zero water passes through?

Shame the picture isn’t viewable - I guess this is a technical issue with the site rather than anything you’ve done.
    Some of these laser levels can be many hundreds of ££’s, and some as little as a tenner
    Do you have any preferences for a decent level?

What the name of the spacers? Again, it’s a shame the picture isn’t visible. (Mods – is there nothing you can do?)

I see you have used an Impey Aquadec wetroom tray - is this tray flat i.e. with no fall to the drain hole? (‘scuse my ignorance but I have never fitted a level access tray before and I might be asking the bleedin obvious!) I guess it has to be given the concentric nature of the drain? Because it’s offset, a fall wouldn’t be possible - is that correct?
    If that’s the case, the only thing that is going to stop the water from spilling over the entire floor is a shower screen. If the floor is absolutely horizontal prior to tiling (as it should be) and the tiles are laid in without a fall i.e they are horizontal as well, what’s to stop the water just spilling over the rest of the bathroom floor? Sure, there’s a drain hole for the water to go into but it won’t catch all of the water – some will inevitable spill out into the main bathroom floor. Is a fall to the drain hole not essential when laying the tiles?
    I reailise that the questions I’ve raised above might come across as being confrontational – but I can assure you Cr0ft that is not my intention. I’m a curious student and just want to have a good understanding of how to do the job properly before I start.
    Thanks for taking the time to post your thread in the first place. It really is much appreciated.

14. cr0ft

Hi. No problems asking questions, that is what this guide was about. In practise, you would ensure 100% tile adhesive coverage under the tiles by using back-buttering. It is the tile adhesive that will get wet. As this is a cement based adhesive, it dries not by evaporation but by chemical reaction. It dries pretty quickly to be honest. Sorry for not making this clear. I wanted the guide to have enough info to allow someone to install a wetroom but not too much info so as to bamboozle people.

The proof it works is in our warranty callbacks. We offer all of our customers a full 2 year warranty on all bathrooms/wetrooms. We've never once been called out to one (touch wood). Given they are a high price tag item, we certainly would be if there was a problem!

Sealing the grout will reduce the amount of water passing through of course, as well as retain the correct grout colour and keep it clean for longer.

Not sure what is going on with the pictures, mods - any ideas? They seem to work fine for a couple of days after I post them then they disappear.

Our company uses Stabila LAX50 Laser Levels. It's accurate enough for precise tiling and at £100 ish a shot, pretty cheap. It comes with a telescopic pole to allow you to quickly adjust the level from near the floor to near the ceiling. Very good bit of kit.

The spacers are UniPlug Pro Spacers. They are quite expensive but are reusable. The only thing to make sure you do is to take them out as soon as the adhesive is dry. Leave them in too long and they are hard to get out!

There is a fall bit in across the whole wetroom tray which is why you have to cut the tiles diagonally out from the drain, to match the fall of the tray. The tray I fitted had a very steep fall on the side closest to the drain and a much shallower fall on the other side.

You have rightly noted that you need to maintain a fall across the entire wetroom floor to make sure that any water landing on the floor goes back to the drain quickly. Sorry if I didn't make this clear in the description. This is why you continue the diagonal cut lines across the whole floor. Essentially the floor is sloped back towards the drain on each of these floor sections.

Hope this all makes sense!

15. Thepipdoc

Thepipdoc Guest

Thanks for the extensive reply - much clearer now.

Just one other thing - how do you ensure a fall to the drain hole? Are you just using thicker adhesive the further you are from the hole and tapering it off as you get closer to it?

Edit: just re-read your earlier reply and it would seem there is a built in fall in the tray - is this correct? If there is it doesn't come across in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013