Search the forum,

Discuss Do you need a hand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try 10 Simon :smile:

lmao before they look at the work you just done for them:17:

I was working with a chap for a few weeks before i got NVQ and I was getting £100 a day for labouring, the other guys had a few years experience behind them but no formal qualifications and they were earning £200 a day.

Maybe in the boom times but those have long gone.

I often wonder where this idea of £200 a day comes from?

Just to clarify I am in Buckinghamshire, things are more expensive here for some reason (maybe because the PM lives here and quite a few famous people) prices are very similar to london prices.
Go 15 miles west and you pay 5p less on your fuel.

But even good plumbers need to read the instructions every now and again.

plumbing doesnt have instructions,
excepet for
NO LEAKS

congrat, to jase for this weeks hottest thread.lol

just a word here, my nephews working down in london at the moment with a mate of his doing ventilation. he is getting a £100 a day as he has never done it before only the last 2 weeks on this job.
he is a hairdresser!!!!!!!!, but it is his mate?.

The value of someone's work is extremely relative. If some guy trusts you, likes you, appreciates how you deal with customers, gets on with you at a personal level and thinks you work diligently and conscientously he may prefer you over somone far more experienced and skilled and pay accordingly (I've had the honour of such myself.) If he's busy and making good money - or happy to break even while he instead concentrates on building business in a certain area - he may pay over the odds too. But it's a lot of if's.

And so all we can really say is if we think it's a long-shot or not according to our experience of current times. Most people seem to think it's a big ask, some seem to disagree. Nothing wrong with going in high on a business deal. Problems is most business deals don't take place on a public forum surrounded by uninvolved third parties with personal interests and experience in the field. Was kind of asking for a lot noise.

theres no way on the planet i would pay anyone more that £300 a week regardless of who they are ,as ive had times were ive been lucky to get £700 a month even now am not getting much more than that, safe gas install has said he,ll help you so good luck to you but still think your livin in dreamland jase mate

I'm not a full time, work any hours type of plumber but it is my full time job, if that makes sense.

This year started well but the summer was not good.

Just done a calculation and in this financial year I've earned the grand sum of £183.16 per ...

week

(That makes it about £36 a day or £4.88 an hour).

How I'd love to be on £75 a day, let alone more than this. I'm not complaining though, it's just the way things are at present.

Yeah but £36 a day for how many hours work? I guess an average of 1-2. So pro-rata you're onto a cushy number - with plenty of time left to go fishing, write the all american novel or post on a plumbing forum.

I'm not a full time, work any hours type of plumber but it is my full time job, if that makes sense.

This year started well but the summer was not good.

Just done a calculation and in this financial year I've earned the grand sum of £183.16 per ...

week

(That makes it about £36 a day or £4.88 an hour).

How I'd love to be on £75 a day, let alone more than this. I'm not complaining though, it's just the way things are at present.

this is the info people dont always see

Yeah but £36 a day for how many hours work? I guess an average of 1-2. So pro-rata you're onto a cushy number - with plenty of time left to go fishing, write the all american novel or post on a plumbing forum.

Fair point!

344.6 direct working hours
At least 400 hours for travel, chatting to customers, "could you just jobs", etc

And, in case you're wondering
Charge to customer per hour: £31.51

Out of this I receive £26.11 per hour gross (labour plus profit on stock sold) (£31.51 minus travel time costs)
Taken down to £16.66 per hour after some costs e.g. motor and travel, advertising, sundries, etc, etc
This will come down further due to remaining costs not yet taken into account. For example, depreciation, office use, insurance, clothing, etc as they're calculated at the end of the year.

This takes the £16.66 down to say to around £10.80 per hour.

£10.80 x 7.5 = £81 per day
= £405 per week = £19,440 (48 weeks)

£19.5k is the maximum because we all have days where we're ill, family commitment, customer not in or cancelling at the last minute, delivery late, etc, etc.

I've not typed this to prove a point - just I've never worked out these figures before despite taking time to record the necessary information!

Point your missing is that any one who is busy enough to employ some one full time like you want would already have employed some one for less money as their work built up. If you think its that easy to provide someone with enough work aswell as your self full time then why don't you go self employed and with the 200 per day you think you can get employ someone your self to do the admin that you don't want to do?

Can i just point out a lil fact that I have noticed,
Below is a similar threads section, which has 4 helping hand threads,
1 has 4 replies and the other 3 have 0 replies,
The fact of the matter is that if I had said I will work for free, then you would of thought, oh not another one!!!
If I had asked for £50 a day I would of got a few good luck messages.
But because I asked for £100 a day a realistic amount that I need to survive on, suddenly everyone is outraged, "this person is trying to actually be sensible and ask for a sensible amount, how outrageous"
How many people who offer their services for free actually keep the job for longer then a few weeks.
Anybody who is older then 17/18 has got bills, they have food to buy and rent to pay.
For anybody living at home with parents that are not paying bills then fair play, working for free or for £40 a week is fair play and if you want to take advantage of this then fair play to you.
But this is not physically possible for me, I need Around £80-£100 a day to pay my bills and feed my family.
If you do not have a job or wish to pay this then fair play, thank you for looking. However I still hold great belief that there are people out there who are willing to pay this much.
Only time will tell.

Point your missing is that any one who is busy enough to employ some one full time like you want would already have employed some one for less money as their work built up. If you think its that easy to provide someone with enough work aswell as your self full time then why don't you go self employed and with the 200 per day you think you can get employ someone your self to do the admin that you don't want to do?

I do get the point, every body on here thinks that a Wet plumber is only worth £40 a day, thats £200 a week, I could earn more then that doing 40 hours at mcdonalds or at a warehouse, so no I don't believe it.

I do get the point, every body on here thinks that a Wet plumber is only worth £40 a day, thats £200 a week, I could earn more then that doing 40 hours at mcdonalds or at a warehouse, so no I don't believe it.

100M + wet plumbers £40 a day
100K + boiler bashers £100 a day
10K maybe, GOOD breakdown engineers £150 a day

supply and demand!

your bascially the equivelent to a 3rd or 4th year apprentice, you can do the wet stuff but not the advanced stuff, so your only going to get as much as what they get imho

This isn't Jase's fault. Genuinely it isn't, and as a father to a young family myself, I feel totally sorry for him.

He can't survive on £40 a day. I've had people work for me for free, and they're all either very young and still living at home or have the money to be able to not earn for a while.

This is the media, and the colleges telling lies.

Jase, I don't have any work for you....but wish you the best. My advice is to try and find your own work.

Maybe better registering with some of these
[DLMURL="http://www.agencycentral.co.uk/agencysearch/bypostcode.htm?IndustryFilter=construction&LocationID=London&x=106&y=21&ASB=1&MatchType=lookupbyname&MatchID="]Nearest Construction agencies to London[/DLMURL]

Agency work may not be great but it can be steady. No one will expect too much of you and generally it is do this do that stuff. It can be a good way to get experience of things you would never come across and learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
100M + wet plumbers £40 a day
100K + boiler bashers £100 a day
10K maybe, GOOD breakdown engineers £150 a day

supply and demand!

Supply 100,110,000 Plumbers
Demand 62,218,000 Population of uk

So thats 1.5 plumbers for each person in the uk

No wonder we are all struggling.

your bascially the equivelent to a 3rd or 4th year apprentice, you can do the wet stuff but not the advanced stuff, so your only going to get as much as what they get imho

I agree but would a level 3/4 Apprentice have full driving license, own van, own insurance and own tools?

What I am saying is if you add up costs, like time spent training up, diesel, tools, extra materials fixing their mistakes, employers liability, would you be paying £80- £100 in total per day?
or would you be paying more like £50-£60 per day?

Jase if you register with the agencies, no matter what it is they ask, tell them you can do it or have done it. Normally the work would be short term cover and there will be other guys on the site who will keep you right. If you are half switched on you will learn quick.

I agree but would a level 3/4 Apprentice have full driving license, own van, own insurance and own tools?

what would be cheaper, supplying them with the above or paying someone who already has the above double the daily rate

agreed good advice from tamz, agency work is easy work, and its only short term.

im not entirely sure about apprenticeships jase but i believe you get some funding up here if your with SNIPEF, i dont know about the going rate down south is for plumbers but people up here are on £100-£120 a day, thats SE guys even less when your on the books.

Fair point!

344.6 direct working hours
At least 400 hours for travel, chatting to customers, "could you just jobs", etc

And, in case you're wondering
Charge to customer per hour: £31.51

Out of this I receive £26.11 per hour gross (labour plus profit on stock sold) (£31.51 minus travel time costs)
Taken down to £16.66 per hour after some costs e.g. motor and travel, advertising, sundries, etc, etc
This will come down further due to remaining costs not yet taken into account. For example, depreciation, office use, insurance, clothing, etc as they're calculated at the end of the year.

This takes the £16.66 down to say to around £10.80 per hour.

£10.80 x 7.5 = £81 per day
= £405 per week = £19,440 (48 weeks)

£19.5k is the maximum because we all have days where we're ill, family commitment, customer not in or cancelling at the last minute, delivery late, etc, etc.

I've not typed this to prove a point - just I've never worked out these figures before despite taking time to record the necessary information!
if i were you, ask jase if he can get you a job.lol.

Jase why don't you do what I do, get a full time job (I work nights) then in the day make top up cash, until youve got loads of experience to tackle the trades well! Eventually moving on to being self employed all the time?

At least you know you have the money coming in at this tricky time?

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you need a hand? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock