Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Found this odd pump inside a Halstead Ace combi..
No idea if the capacitor is meant to be like that, done all the tests on it and decided the reason the pump proving switch rod isnt going up is because of the diaphragm..
wrong! now thinking of replacing the pump even though the resistances are right :dizzy2:

IMAG1112.jpg

So to sum it up pump proving rod isnt moving, if I force the switch the boiler fires then kettles but the pump has 200 ohms, 240v and the magnet gadget spins when its on.

Will appreciate any advice you guys can give

That's a rebadged Grunfoss, looks like an add on. Can you stop the pump with a screwdriver? If you can, it's shot.
Pump should look similar to this.
image.jpg

I've never tested a pump with a screwdriver, how do I go about doing it? Cheers

open up air port and jam an old screwdriver in if you cant stop pump fecked

Got plenty of old screwdrivers looks like have found some use for em!
I guess if the capacitor was shot the pump wouldnt even kick in so my magnet gadget wouldnt spin

The pump gadget spinning is not proof that the pump is spinning.
It is like a compass. The gadget spins in the presence of electro magnetic energy. All it proves is that the pump is "trying to spin"

The pump gadget spinning is not proof that the pump is spinning.
It is like a compass. The gadget spins in the presence of electro magnetic energy. All it proves is that the pump is "trying to spin"
That's what I thought, suppose the same applies to solenoids?

I cant say ive tried putting the pump gadget near a solenoid to test but the logic applies.

Pump spin gadget won't work on A.C. solenoid due to absence of a capacitor.

Last edited:

Did it spin ?
Did on one, second solenoid didnt but it wasnt getting 240v so got a pcb to replace me thinks
nevermind just been on phone to technical second solenoid wasnt meant to be getting 240 untill the pilot is rectified.
Its a steep curve this!

Last edited:
Did on one, second solenoid didnt but it wasnt getting 240v so got a pcb to replace me thinks
nevermind just been on phone to technical second solenoid wasnt meant to be getting 240 untill the pilot is rectified.
Its a steep curve this!

If the solenoid is D C Current ( and I think that boiler is ) it may spin due to that.
A lot use 230v DC .
I was talking about A C Current.
Only because you were asking about an A C Motor ( pump ).
Sorry if I'm confusing things.
You're better testing these things with a good quality multimeter.
I don't know what you've got but the Fluke 116 is good.

If the solenoid is D C Current ( and I think that boiler is ) it may spin due to that.
A lot use 230v DC .
I was talking about A C Current.
Only because you were asking about an A C Motor ( pump ).
Sorry if I'm confusing things.
You're better testing these things with a good quality multimeter.
I don't know what you've got but the Fluke 116 is good.

How can you text them with a multi meter ?

How can you text them with a multi meter ?

By testing the resistance through the winding is correct and that the voltages to and neutral from are present and correct too.

I need to apologise before we go any further.
I've just looked up the spinning gadget you're on about ( because I've never used one) and it does show them being used next to AC. Solenoid. It is looking like I was wrong here. Sorry for opening my mouth and sorry for confusing anyone.

I was thinking of the pump windings being set up as a rotating magnetic field due to the capacitor.
The solenoid doesn't have one so I thought it would not work because the single phase alone cannot create a rotating magnetic field. It can and does however create lines of magnetic flux that might move a spinny gadget.

It is still not the best way of testing things. It's a bit like relying on a volt stick to tell you if something is dead. Hit n miss.

By testing the resistance through the winding is correct and that the voltages to and neutral from are present and correct too.

I need to apologise before we go any further.
I've just looked up the spinning gadget you're on about ( because I've never used one) and it does show them being used next to AC. Solenoid. It is looking like I was wrong here. Sorry for opening my mouth and sorry for confusing anyone.

I was thinking of the pump windings being set up as a rotating magnetic field due to the capacitor.
The solenoid doesn't have one so I thought it would not work because the single phase alone cannot create a rotating magnetic field. It can and does however create lines of magnetic flux that might move a spinny gadget.

It is still not the best way of testing things. It's a bit like relying on a volt stick to tell you if something is dead. Hit n miss.

No harm done mate, I've replaced the pump tonight boiler working away. The gadget spun, resistances were bang on, live 240 so it threw me off the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dodgy Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock