Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Dodgy shower arm thread? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. DodgyDIY

DodgyDIY New Member

Hello plumbing pros!

I'm nearly done with my bathroom refurb, but got a problem fitting a shower arm I bought from soak.com.

In the attached pic, the chrome thread is the one that screws into the wall. The brass thread is for a handheld shower fitting from the same set (for comparison).

I can only get the shower arm thread to go about 1/2 turn into the backplate elbow. You can see the shower arm thread is flatter, unlike the sharp brass one you would typically see.
    The brass thread screws in beautifully.
    To my untrained eye these all appear to be BSP(P). So the logical answer to me is that the chrome thread is not cut properly. I asked soak.com to investigate and they sent me an identical replacement.

What do you think guys, am I missing something? Or is the shower arm not fit for purpose?

20170427_132836.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I would say yes, all the ones I've fitted / seen are like a stnd tail

Looks like it's been missed off final threading

• Like Like x 1
  3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Not exactly scientific, but measuring the TPI on the screen they are different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

One might be BSP thread the other is a machined thread would look for another component that's takes the machine threaded part.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phil

Phil Plumber

Looks more like the thread on my dumbell bar!

Come on Soak.com give us half a chance, these are hard enough as it is to fit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DodgyDIY

DodgyDIY New Member

Thanks for the replies Gents, much appreciated.
    I too thought it looks like a thread that doesn't belong in plumbing, so have asked soak.com for a refund while i look for a better quality alternative. Triton do a similar one.

I shall look forward to fitting the sink, toilet and bath next! o_O

7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You know where we are if you get stuck :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

It looks to me as though the chrome thread is an American 1/2" UNC thread, which is 13 TPI. 1/2" BSP and its relatives are 14 TPI.