Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy - very dodgy, drainage under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Got called to a place yesterday that had a problem with the utility room sink waste backing up and leaking into the room.
When I examined it I could see why; there are two 40mm waste pipes, a drain from the dishwasher, and a drain from the washing machine - all feeding into one - yes one- 40mm pipe which then goes vertically into a rubber bung type of reducer that is under the sink cupboard.
The amount of water was causing syphonage, and noxious fumes, whist also causing the waste water to back up enough to push the bung up and allow the water to leak into the utility room.
All installed by a so called builder.
I told them to use one appliance at a time for now and when they return from their holiday I'll sort it out but how do builders get away with this? They do the work themselves, cutting a plumber out of the process and keeping the cash, and they make a complete hash of the job. Where were BC? Apparently they did't even come out to look at the extension when it was built.

Oh - I just remembered; The builder had used an overflow pipe stuck into the top of the 'Waste' stack in an attempt to elevate the siphonal problem - numpty.

I'm thinking of fitting a stub stack and connecting the four wastes properly.

Can anyone remember the water regs that covers the size of wastes and their associated drain size?

I can't remember and I'd like to quote it to the customer so they have something to get back to the builder with.

Don't see what your getting at with the two wastes going into one , a large amount of kitchen sinks have double spigot traps on with a dishwasher, washing machine and sink connected

The rubber bung is probably a mcalpine reducer, if it's backing up surely first thing is check for a blockege down the line

Cheers, forgot to say that I've been around the industry for a while now and I did clear the blockage but the crap plumbing still exist

Don't see what your getting at with the two wastes going into one , a large amount of kitchen sinks have double spigot traps on with a dishwasher, washing machine and sink connected

The double spigots are only designed for one appliance to be used at a time really though and struggle when theres more than one used in conjunction with pour plumbing

Missed that post
I've just read my original post again and I should add that the two sink wastes are in addition to the two wastes from the washing machine and dishwasher. That makes four wastes exiting I to a 40mm pipe, which is the problem.

Is the rubber bung reducer below the sink a 110mm x 40mm?
If it is an 110mm, then you can buy a 110mm with twin connections for using 2 waste pipes

As best said. Or could change sink trap to double nozzle type and drop wastes into that. May need air admitance valve on 40mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dodgy - very dodgy, drainage under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock