Discuss Does my hot water tank need a pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, very stupid question here I'm sure, but I've not been able to google the answer so feel the need to ask someone!

I have a hot water tank in an upstairs cupboard heated by a gas boiler downstairs. There's a pump next to the tank, which I understand would pump water around the radiators for the central heating. But my question is, is the pump required to heat the hot water tank for the shower and taps? Why does it need it if so? The pump looks like the image at this address http://www.judgeelectrical.co.uk/images/central-heating/central-heating-pump-1-thumb.jpg

Second part of the question... the pump causes quite a bit of noise. It's very recently been replaced so it's not a problem with the pump, but the vibrations of the pumping reverberate through the woodwork and probably pipework of the house, meaning you can hear it in most rooms. It's not a huge issue, but I'd rather it were silent. Do you think that's possible?

Thanks!

The answer to your post is yes it's needed for both the primary supply which heats your hot water cylinder via a coil in the cylinder it provides all your hot water outlets , and also to pump the water around your boiler and radiators to heat your home, it is not the pump that is noisy but the way it is fitted your pump has 3 speeds you could try turning your pump to a lower speed or secure your heating pipework to avoid vibration noise through the system. regards kop

how long ago was the pump replaced? I understand what KOP above is saying but in very dirty systems I have seen pumps fail in 6 months. Do you know what the system water is like?

Thanks both, very helpful. The pump was replaced less than one month ago - one of the first things I did when I moved in. However as I've just moved in, I've no idea what the system water is like - is the danger that it's full of rust, or is it another contaminant like limescale? I live in a very hard water area.

Another simple question - if the pump powers both the hot water supply and the radiators... can it do both at the same time or must I choose between hot water and heating at any one time?

Thanks again!

It is definitely strange to go after a month. I would do what KOP said and check what speed the pump is on. It depends on the setup of your system. Some you can have on seperately and some you have to have the water on to get the heating to work. Have you got a picture of the airing cupboard?

Yes I think it's the same today as it was on its day-one, so I guess it's not bust just yet. It must be the case that it needs securing to the brickwork better to dampen the humming noise.

There is a speed control as KOP mentions - we fiddled with that before and different settings made different volumes, but the plumber that installed it mentioned that he thought it'd burn it out to use it on the quietest setting (which I expect is the slowest) - any thoughts on that?

I can post a picture of the airing cupboard later when I get home.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

It's a 3 bed semi-detached with ground floor and first floor with one bathroom, if that helps with estimating the size of the house? does 2 sound right for that? cheers!

It's a 3 bed semi-detached with ground floor and first floor with one bathroom, if that helps with estimating the size of the house? does 2 sound right for that? cheers!
Yes mate. It does

20170919_232858.jpg Cheers guys. Had a play with the pump today and it was already on 2. 1 is a little quiter and 3 is a bit louder. There's already a rubber lined bracket holding the pipe, and when I hold onto the piping or the motor it doesn't really quiet it, so I'm thinking I might be stuck with the reverberations in other rooms. I've attached a photo - there's a whole mess of wiring and switches that I'm not sure of the function, or even if they still do anything!

You have a poorly installed y plan system it looks to have been upgraded a short time ago , i would suggest you employ the services of a heating enginneer to tidy up that pipework, wiring and fit a auto bypass valve after the pump, the problems you are experiencing will not go aways until you do i am afraid the noise you are getting is caused by cavitation and air in the end it will damage your pump so please take some proffesional advice. Regards kop

Thanks KOP, great to get insight!

If it's air in the pump, would using the bleed screw on the front of it help to let it out and potentially quieten it down?

We're thinking of switching to a combi-boiler anyway so that we can get the cupboard space back and have water-on-demand... I believe that doesn't need a pump, would that also help to solve the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does my hot water tank need a pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back