Search the forum,

Discuss Draining down but valve is stuck shut.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ray316

l need to drain down to change both my 2 port valves and one is stuck shut, both valve levers are sloppy and will not open or stop in the open position so how can l drain down the system with a valve in the closed position..

....and if you do what we do you wouldn't need to drain down. An extra valve after 2 port means that if you close pump valve and the extra valve it can be swapped over with just a bucket/cloth underneath.

if you mean the washer is stuck in the drain off its either get wet getting it not a good idea on carpet out or find somewhere else to drain from
floppy levers usually means the valve is open have you checked with a multimeter before changing valves?

if you mean the washer is stuck in the drain off its either get wet getting it not a good idea on carpet out or find somewhere else to drain from
floppy levers usually means the valve is open have you checked with a multimeter before changing valves?
It's stuck shut on the H/W valve as the pipe is cold after the valve but hot before and the lever moving makes no difference...
Cannot take the head off as it's the old type of ACL Valve.

If you need to do it in a controlled manner due to location, then drill an 8mm hole in the pipe on the side that's got water stuck in it.
Use a straight connector where the hole is, or a valve as suggested above, not a restrictive service valve tho.

If you need to do it in a controlled manner due to location, then drill an 8mm hole in the pipe on the side that's got water stuck in it.
Use a straight connector where the hole is, or a valve as suggested above, not a restrictive service valve tho.
Sorry not quite sure what you mean, can you explain it in more simple terms and connecter l need to use.

Just drain it down as best you can, slacken the nut off. Drain remains into a bucket with lots of towels to hand. Job done.

I like the idea dril tiny hole in pipe I've had a few where the gate valve is stuck closed on cold feed of tank so you have a full tank above you and no way to drain or change broken gate valve

The last one I did the tank was nearly touching the ceiling in the ac and the gate valve was strait off the bottom of a galvy tank very rusty I cut the pipe bucket underneath oh sh!! Bucket full in 1 second dumped out window next to me another bucket full ahhhhhh 4 buckets

Why do you need to drain the system? IF you take off the heads do the spindles move easily? If so simply replace the synchronous motors, or the heads

drain down as much as you can then use a wet vac losen nut on valve and suck water out this way you can keep some control over the amount of water you let out and if there is more than a bucket full you can tight nut and empty with out water everywere.

Or better still, pay a professional to come in and change them with no hassle!

The last one I did the tank was nearly touching the ceiling in the ac and the gate valve was strait off the bottom of a galvy tank very rusty I cut the pipe bucket underneath oh sh!! Bucket full in 1 second dumped out window next to me another bucket full ahhhhhh 4 buckets

Simple rule when working with water and potential leaky situations.

Always have a spare empty bucket,, or 2 or 3 or 4 standing by,,, and a wet vac,,, and a plie of rags, and a lad with thick overalls on which will soak up plenty of water when he's got his finger over the end..

If its the 2 or 3 port valve then drain down as normal, then hold valve open. if it doesnt open the there should only be a little bit of water between pump and valve get this out an open the bottom nut slowly to let air in and push water out of cylinder.
if its drain valve and no other drain valves then get a self cutting washing machine valve and cut into any 15mm pipe downstairs, this gives you the option to turn off when your bucket/ wet vac is full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Draining down but valve is stuck shut.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
I am not a plumber, but very fluent in residential plumbing. My Daughter has a building in town. There are 2 Woodford wall hydrants. Neither one work. They are both the same. This one is missing the vacuum breaker. They may have never been turned on (or even opened) since the building was built...
Replies
Views
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit when not in use which is 90% of the time, can I put a 3 zone valve on the flow after the tenth rad and divert to a new T piece on the return to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock