Search the forum,

Discuss draining the system a little to replace a rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive to replace a rad and a leaky rad valve on a rad in y upstairs bedroom. Its been leaking for a few months and seeing as im free today, i might aswell get cracking on with it. Anytime i change a rad valve upstairs, i would half drain the system then change the rad/valve. One question i have concerning this is that its a duel system connected to a stove in the living room. Im 90% sure it isnt anything else needing doing apart from filling up again like normal, bleed rads etc.. however i thought best to ask here first.

I'm assuming it's open vented...

You could try capping the expansion at the F&E tank with a push fit fitting, bung the tank outlet with a rubber cork and just drain the rad in question, the rest of the system should airlock itself.

I would turn off the rad valves drain out the rad with a wet vac , lock the system up as above then change the valves one at a time cheers kop

You could just drain the top half of system as you normally do, if you wanted to, - dual system shouldn't make any difference.
But as the other replies stated, you just need to bung any vents and feed pipes at f&e tank. The vent pipe might be directly from the stove primary flow, but it still needs bunged.
Just take the pressure off the system from a draincock low in the system and you should have no bother with upper floor radiator valves. Getting the old rad drained is the hardest part.
Don't forget to remove all bungs and add inhibitor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to draining the system a little to replace a rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was ok until I've spotted a v small leak (like 1 drip per hour) between the valve nut and extension piece. So I suspect I just need more PTFE + compound...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I seem to have lost a bleed nipple from one of my rads somehow. It’s a double rad, one side of the rad has a nipple, the other is gone and I need to bleed it to stop the bubbling noise. How can I fix this please? Is it possible to buy a new one and if so how do I know what to ask for...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
My Mother-in-law was quoted £1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4 radiators need to be upgraded to doubles, would this need to be done if they are drained off and replaced? How does one actually know it needs a power...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock