Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Drilling near a shower - how to avoid pipes in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Hi clever people

I'm a first time home owner and inexperienced DIY'er so please bear with me if I ask something obvious or stupid.

I have an alcove next to an electric shower in our en suite that is crying out for some shelves. The shower itself is mounted on the opposite wall to where I'd like to drill, but I have no idea how plumbing works and if there's likely to be any pipes behind the alcove walls. I have a stud finder which bleeps when I run it over parts of the wall space, but this isn't surprising because the house is built with metal studs.

Can anyone tell me the likelihood of there being water pipes behind the walls - I'll see if I can attach a picture of where the alcove is in relation to the shower.

Thanks very much for any help.

IMG_20180911_185839.jpg

IMG_20180912_160111.jpg

2. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

It is highly unlikely there are any pipes in that bit of wall. You can never be 100% sure but the odd's are in your favour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is there a radiator anywhere near there or behind it?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hdel53

Hdel53 New Member

Thank you both, that's good news about my odds. No there's no radiator nearby.