Search the forum,

Discuss Easy question for a plumber. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse the lack of correct terminology;

The in-a-nut-shell version.
If I have a short length of 15mm copper pipe going into a JG Speed fit elbow can I use a normal compression fitting at the other end of the copper pipe.

The reason I ask is that I imagine fitting the compression fitting on the other end will cause the copper pipe to attempt to rotate; is the speed fitting strong enough to take this rotational force.

The slightly longer version
I'm fitting a bar shower and intend to use speed fit (push fit) to run pipe under the bath and up the stud wall. once at the appropriate level I will right angle with an elbow and switch to copper for the last few inches as I have one of those 'bar fixing kits' that accepts copper and is itself a compression fitting. hence the question; can the speed fit elbow handle the rotational force placed upon it during the tightening of the compression fitting.

if not I suppose I would need to use speed fit under the bath, speed fit elbow at the bottom onto copper for the vertical then a compression elbow and copper through the tile.

I'd prefer option 1 but the wall will obviously be covered and tiled before the compression shower rail kit is tightened hence no way to see if it's caused an issue.

Thanks
Rob

The Speedfit elbow will allow the pipe rotating no problem. Just remember to use pipe supports for the plastic pipe.
You could put the compression elbow on first I guess
I would use all copper personally, but that’s because it is easy to me tbh.

Don’t put plastic fittings in the wall

The Speedfit elbow will allow the pipe rotating no problem. Just remember to use pipe supports for the plastic pipe.
You could put the compression elbow on first I guess
I would use all copper personally, but that’s because it is easy to me tbh.

Thanks for that; deep down I want to use copper all through but I just cant imagine how I'd get anything beyond finger tight on the compression fitting elbow at the bottom of the stud wall (right angle to send under the bath)

Could I switch to push fit at that point perhaps?

Any pipe that is removable or you haven’t yet installed, can be compressed out of position and then just hand tightened later and nipped up with a spanner.
Always a way of doing it properly

True! Look better than plastic also, although inside they are just the same - an O ring and a grab washer.

As regards pushfit, TBH , I have confidence with the Tectite classic , very well made , rolland rat and his makes cant eat them either .

Try get one apart , without the tool !!

How about at the point it comes out of the stud wall and needs to right angle under the bath? I just do not think I could get any leverage on the spanners for compression fittings in that area
As long as you can access it. You are not gonna want to rip tiles off if you spring a leak in the wall

Thanks everybody; I've decided to go copper right through although it feels like I've traded a possible leak in the future with the push fit for an almost certain leak during install with the compression fittings

Avoid compression fittings if you can don't berry them in the wall asking for trouble, if you cant solder then go for Tectite copper push fit about the same size as soldered fittings, if you are going to stick with push fit plastic don't forget to use the inserts inside the pipe.

Avoid compression fittings if you can don't berry them in the wall asking for trouble, if you cant solder then go for Tectite copper push fit about the same size as soldered fittings, if you are going to stick with push fit plastic don't forget to use the inserts inside the pipe.

I ended up using copper compression right through. I did purchase a push fit end stop? filled the pipe and fitted the stop then turned on the mains to check for leaks; as anticipated one compression fitting had a slight drip (once every 20 seconds or so) but that stopped once I nipped it up.

I'd love to know if I could have just used push fit pipe right up to the shower kit (mixer bar kit) but I could not find anything on the internet... I could have used two single runs without any joints and avoided this whole nerve racking experience..... or I should have just called a plumber ;P

Push fit plastic pipe would have been fine and you would have saved some money on fittings

Push fit plastic pipe would have been fine and you would have saved some money on fittings

I'm sure your familiar with these shower 'kits' a plate over the pipe and screwed to the tile followed by an olive and then a compression fixing (called a fixing bridge in my kit) which in the end leaves the correct size fitting for the bar shower.

My kit is from ScrewFix and made by Swirl, It's a two piece kit; as in nothing connects the two parts of the kit. with a Push fit pipe and an insert fitted would the olive and compression fixing bridge have sealed fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Easy question for a plumber. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock