Search the forum,

Discuss electric shower problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sod the electric and fit a nice thermostatic mixer off of the combi hot and cold.

Do you have to be qualified to put in a mixer shower ?? :29:

All I am saying to you is check you are insured to undertake electrical work however small you think it may be. By the way I have got a life.

Tbf bud a large part of that life seems to be winding people up.

Who in their right mind would pass up a job as simple as wiring a shower? If you get there and the cable/isolation/fuse looks dodgy then you walk away. Simple.

There’s, defo, no need for a guessing game or cutting corners in gas or electrical works – you ether know how to do a job or not. Also, you have to be switched on – so you understand what you need to do on a job, otherwise you might end up on the news and will be getting a free food - in prison that is. The choice is yours.

On the subject of regs, wireless electricity is just about a decade a way. No plugs, no cables, just one big control box, digitally controlled by a computer. Wonder what that will do for a sparks career?

On the subject of regs, wireless electricity is just about a decade a way. No plugs, no cables, just one big control box, digitally controlled by a computer. Wonder what that will do for a sparks career?

Fast path plumber ;)

Yes that is what I said, it should be sized to suit the load and run, and increased if the run is a long one. But 10mm is now the minimum and any M.I I've read recently states this.
From a Triton MI
9.2 In the majority of installations, the cable
will unavoidably be placed in one or more
of the above conditions. This being so, it
is strongly recommended
to use a
minimum of 10mm cabling throughout
the shower installation.
9.3 In any event, it is essential that individual
site conditions are assessed by a competent
electrician in order to determine the correct
cable size and permissible circuit length.

What that basically says is stick a 10mm in and it should be fine but not always. It could require a bigger cable (16mm) or you may be able to safely use a 6mm if it is a short surface run.
That is why it is best left to those who know how to work it out to do the work and take the responsibility.
Same as gas.

I would worry more about what it would do to those living with it.

I agree with what you're saying about leccy for electricians and gas for gsr's. That's why I carry 2 sparks on every job to fit everything from downlights to showers, as they know what they are doing and more importantly are qualified to do so. 10mm is the recommended cable size and when I did my stint with our local council, any tenant vacating a property that had installed a shower with under 10mm cable had to have it removed.

One I removed in Edinburgh this year was wired up to a light switch under the bath with 4mm flex and the heat had fused the copper core to the switch itself.

I thought we already had wireless leccy, I call it lightning

From a Triton MI
9.2 In the majority of installations, the cable
will unavoidably be placed in one or more
of the above conditions. This being so, it
is strongly recommended
to use a
minimum of 10mm cabling throughout
the shower installation.
9.3 In any event, it is essential that individual
site conditions are assessed by a competent
electrician in order to determine the correct
cable size and permissible circuit length.

What that basically says is stick a 10mm in and it should be fine but not always. It could require a bigger cable (16mm) or you may be able to safely use a 6mm if it is a short surface run.
That is why it is best left to those who know how to work it out to do the work and take the responsibility.
Same as gas.

It's better to put 10mm cable in. A 7.5kW shower will be fine on 8mm cable. But, say a year later you are comming back to the same house - a 10kW shower needs to go in... DOH! 10mm cable has to run that. Why not to put 10mm in the first place!?

Tbf bud a large part of that life seems to be winding people up.

Who in their right mind would pass up a job as simple as wiring a shower? If you get there and the cable/isolation/fuse looks dodgy then you walk away. Simple.
TBF Chum no its not

It's better to put 10mm cable in. A 7.5kW shower will be fine on 8mm cable. But, say a year later you are comming back to the same house - a 10kW shower needs to go in... DOH! 10mm cable has to run that. Why not to put 10mm in the first place!?

cmon alex we left the thread a long way back, it wireless leccy and panto land now!

Well leccy cars are here to stay, so next step would be for them to auto charge themselves off the mains.

Might be fun watching the wife plug in her Punto, it's petrol.

Wheres you plumbing career ---------------------its behind you

Your retired so it may well be old son, but as far as mine goes OH NO IT ISN'T:smilielol5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to electric shower problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock