Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Electric underfloor heating in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Hi folks, an underfloor heating question...

I have a bare concrete floor in the hall way. Can I simply lay flat electric cable heating on this then put floor tiles on top? I`ve been inspired seeing some ornate tiling inside a front door, but want to put cable heating underneath this. Will I lose a lot of heat into the screed? Is there an approved way to do this?

Thanks for any advice!

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Loose a lot of it into the uninsulated screed

3. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Use 10mm insulation boards, fas end down with powder tile adhesive. Prime the boards, then tile. This gives a food substrate to tile onto and insulates the ufh from heating the sub floor.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

Thankyou gentlemen! Very helpful. Its just the floor is obviously all laid, its the original concrete and I cant start digging it up so I`m just considering my options. I suspected I`d lose a lot into the screed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Did you read my post??
    This all goes on top of your existing floor

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveWannadoGas

SteveWannadoGas Member

yes ty Chalked I did. Yes I understand. I didnt want to be raising the floor level (with insulation boards) because I dont want steps between the hallway, kitchen, living room. I wanted a level floor across the downstairs, to allow a smooth, neat transition between rooms.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. Uheat – Wojtek

Uheat – Wojtek Sponsor

Hello everyone,

Steve, we do 6mm XPS polystyrene boards which can be installed by using 1-2 mm flexible tile adhesive. Heating mat goes on top.
    I totally understand you don't want to have a little step but if you use the insulation boards we know the UFH will work and will be more efficient and cheaper to run.
    It's a much better soltuon rather than using higher wattage of heating mats or cables on top of concrete.
    If you can't go for insulation boards you can use a Thermal Primer and 200W/m2 mats but it will cost you more to run.
    I've got 6mm insulation board on top of uninsulated concrete with 200W/m2 mat on it and it works perfectly and doesn't cost a lot to run.

Hope that helps.

8. StephenF

StephenF New Member

Consider an overlay wet system - cheaper to run. Height change including insulation 24mm.