Search the forum,

Discuss Electric vs Gas Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Buckers

A subject that's probably been done to death, but a specific question I can't seem to find an answer to:

Putting running costs to one side, is there any noticeable different in heat up times for an unvented cylinder (let's assume an indirect megaflo) between gas and electric system boilers? Assuming two "top end" domestic products.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
High output coil, from boiler will heat far quicker than immersion.
Plus will cost 1/3 of electric to do the same thing.

Depends are you planning if you go down the elec route running any rads off the system?

Yes, I currently have 8 radiators. That said, I am having a loft conversion done so not only will there be lots of insulation in the roof, I am also going through the rest of the house and making a lot of improvements. I therefore don't envisage having them on that often or for very long.

I have recently replaced the gas hob for induction and I'm wondering if it's feasible to get rid of gas entirely (currently planning to get rid of the gas combi with 15mm service pipe for 32mm pipe and megaflo or similar so need to choose a boiler).

Right that's fine have a look at ehc for elec heat only boilers

One thing that elec has going for it is it's more efficient at heating the water up

The down side is the cost per kw

Just a thought maybe have a word with your elec supply and maybe they could install an off peak meter (cheaper elec through the night) and use this to heat your water

But your still going to be paying more in the long run unless you go into things like solar which will sorta balance things out ish

I'm not too concerned about the running costs (assuming they are not more than double the cost of gas). I'm attracted to the simplicity of electric only, plus I just don't "like" gas, not that that makes much sense to most people!

When you say "heat only" boilers, what does that mean exactly? Will they still run the 8 existing wet radiators and heat the unvented cylinder?

Re the O/P
The answer is No, no noticeable difference providing you're matching the Gas kw with Electric kw.

The biggest problem is the electrical supply.
You'll need to check if 3 phase is available to your property, unless you already have it?

You wont get a good output electric boiler running of a standard single phase domestic supply.

P.S Heat only = Not a combi

Snowhead, I wasn't aware of that to be fair...although I am about to have the house re-wired so I would have to check. Currently there's just (I'm assuming) a standard supply (it's 80A). Do you know the highest output available without 3 phase?

I'm seeing around 15kw., which is presumably going to take a while to heat a 200 litre megaflo....I'll almost certainly be sticking with gas by the looks of it! :)

Thanks for the info everyone.

Your most important consideration is how much is this type of system going to cost to run i would contact your energy provider for a expected anual cost i.e ecomomy 12 , economy 18 it gives you cheaper rate electricity within those hours , in my experience it has always been more expensive even on a low rate tariff if you are not on the gas network, dont dissmiss a form of renewables do your homework before committing. Cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric vs Gas Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
N
Our ~15-year-old boiler just broke down (the spark igniter gave out), and set out a discussion to go ahead and replace it, as it's starting to kettle as well, and it will probably just be downhill from here. Background: 1905 built (renovated in 2010) Edwardian terraced. The house is 2 floors...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the central heating but not for hot water and sometimes the other way round, so it's probably just luck as to when it does decide to work[?]. When there's...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock