Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Electrical box to valves behind heating pipes? is this safe/ok? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. baldyman36

baldyman36 New Member

Hi,

I need more official and professional opinions om my situation.
    It looks like the electrican and plumber have built something that I'm not sure is safe.
    Please can you confirm.

The electrical box is sitting behind the heating pipes and the electrical box is touching the pipes.

is this safe?

2. baldyman36

baldyman36 New Member

a picture

1512217036718-624797799.jpg

3. baldyman36

baldyman36 New Member

Another pic

15122171331532045852405.jpg

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yea not right as you can't get to it for access/ replacing

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder how either of them managed to connect it up

6. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Shakes his head !

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. baldyman36

baldyman36 New Member

Thanks. What building regulations or safety regulations does this violate? As they refuse to fix it.

8. ShaunCorbs

Non but very bad practice

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Surely if you can't put a non-maintenance-free junction box under a floor unless there is a dedicated access panel, and that electrical box cannot be accessed for maintenance, then logic would suggest that unless the electrical box has maintenance-free (i.e. non-screwed) terminals, it is in violation of a similar reg?
    But you'd need to check on our sister forum as that's presumably where the sparkies live.

10. ShaunCorbs

they cant be put under floors now, only where you can get at like gas comp fittings

11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Page 9, paragraph 4 would suggest you can't put them under floors 'unless provision is made for access'. Not that I would, even with provision, as it only takes someone to lay a posh carpet or some tiles, and bang goes the provision.

Unless this link is out of date?

hager.co.uk/files/download/0/2801_1/0/Guide_to_Junction_Boxes.pdf

12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Not good but easy enough when replacing head to cut cable and use junction box to connect new head. I do this on all mv changes so I dont have to go into wiring centre.

• Like Like x 1
  13. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not ideal but see it all the time who's to blame engineer or electrican ??? in all honesty both . cheers kop

14. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

That's why I do the wiring from the fused spur. Sparks get a bit lost with heating and controls wiring. I always make sure wether It's a heating part or electrical box It's accessible as possible. Just incase it's me coming back for maintenance/repair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

What you need to refer to is The Consumer Rights Act 2015 Section 49, which is explained here:

Consumer Rights Act 2015 | Consumer Law

As there are two contractors involved you would be wise to consult Citizens Advice or your solicitor before deciding how to proceed.