Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Emergency Plumber. Out of hours. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

I dont think the person who did this should call themselves a Plumber:eek:
    2014-10-16 12.16.35.jpg

No wonder the toilet kept running :eek:. Nice new valve fitted.

Trading standards now involved.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

The plumber surely didn't charge anything for that bodge?

3. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

You wouldn't believe me, he also fitted the cheapest mono block tap possible and charged her £400 :eek::eek:

4. turnpin

turnpin Trusted Plumber

Are they gold screws? at that price they should be..regards Turnpin:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Best

He has got a weeks wages from her, for what should have been a couple hours work probably maximum. :eek:

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Too many rip off merchants out there. I get stuff like this sometimes. It winds me up.

7. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

Obviously the cistern was still running, she contacted the emergency plumbing company asking for it to be put right. No joy. Trading standards now involved. Good job I kept the picture will be used as evidence too.

I hate shoddy work. Call themselves Plumbers. Disgusting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Best

It would have been a disgustingly high price even if the work had have been professionally done!

9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

thats the best one ive seen in a long while :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

The painful thing about this one is that the guy who did it was clearly not stupid. They had a replacement float valve but it was too big to fit in the cistern. Okay, they modified it and even used two screws to make sure the join was strong. But it was jamming because the float was touching the back of the cistern. The spare low (? red, anyway) pressure seating came to the rescue as a sliding spacer keeping the float away from the back. This works because it's been positioned it close to the hinge where the mechanical advantage can overcome the friction.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  11. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

If he had put a bracket across both sides of the arm, would have been temporarily fixed. It dips in the middle. If he is not that stupid :rolleyes: why didn't he just take the diaphragm out of the new one and repair the old one, or even take the arm off the old one. Most definitely stupid.:eek:

12. WaterTight

WaterTight Plumber

13. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

That's what it has now, should have posted the after picture too.

14. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

You'll be surprised what people charge. Some of them they are that cheeky to charge a fortune;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Callsimon55

Callsimon55 New Member

Well you have all missed the point. You can not know the circumstances relaling to this clever fix . But please understand that the only way you can sensibly deal with these old cistern parts is to change them all. I do, and charge £68 plus vat with three year warranty... maybe misguided but he did try!