Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Expired flux keep it bin in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. al.dente112

al.dente112 New Member

Evening all, Found 6 tubs of flux but they’ve all expired last year can you still use it or shall I just them away ?

Cheers

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

Flux has a date on it !!!

Every days a school day

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

No idea. Doesn't last long enough round me anyway.

4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

I've got a jar of Vick's vapour rub that expired in Sep 2005. It still smells minty and it still works.

I'd use it, the flux that is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

I have had flux for years it still does its job

6. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Tin of Fluxite at college. Gone thick, lid missing and rusty nail in the middle for some reason (the Level 1 students ?).

Worked very well.

7. marvoni

marvoni Active Member

I don't do plumbing very often so all my flux is at least 10 years old, some of it could be old enough to vote and get married. It all works fine and I haven't noticed any decrease in its performance over the decades.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

Its main purpose is to stop the oxidation so I would have thought it shouldn't matter about shelf life if you think back to lead soldering wipe joints we used to use tallow,

9. townfanjon

I always thought you were a pressfit wan&er lol . We all wished you happy birthday a few weeks since but you just ignored us

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

No just a Leeds wanchor.

Missed it. Hadn't been on in a while.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

While we're on about flux - what's the best??
    1) Laco
    2) Powerflow
    3) do you remember that Yorkshire one in the green & white tub - it had a distinctive smell? Is it still available?

12. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

. and how many of you use lead solder where you can i.e. for gas and heating?
    I remember lead solder performing so much better than todays 'lead free' with silver alloyed in :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Powerflow and will use leaded on heating if I have it.

14. townfanjon

Laco , thats the one for gas . Lead free solder .

15. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

laco and unleaded, i was a powerflow guy but its too bitty on the fittings when your trying to fit them