Discuss External cleaning oil-fired boiler tubes with alkaline spray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an elderly Perkins oil fired pressure jet boiler. I have in the past used Perkins recommended once or twice a year alkaline spray from a garden sprayer to shock neutralise the acidic condensation on the boiler tubes but cant remember which alkaline crystals to use. I vaguely remember soda crystals but sodium chlorate , soda ash and caustic soda also ring a bell.
It obviously works as the boiler is now 46 years old.
Anyone remember what to use and at what concentration?

Shaun, don`t start feckin around removing my posts!
The thread doesn't flow now.

Shaun, don`t start feckin around removing my posts!
The thread doesn't flow now.

? Think it does as my quote has been left in ? And removed both of ours, sorry wasn't meant to offend/upset you

I see Worcester say use bi-carbonate of soda solution is harmless, the solution that will come off with the baffles will contain condensate salts, soot and rust.

Yes also handy for removing stuck gas combi boiler baffle pot and spring from deep inside if the boiler hasn't been serviced for a while

Can of Coke also works

What! Why the hell are you quoting me in your post sillybilly?

I think I might be close to answering my own question. I have attached a pdf of the Perkins cleaning system that came with my 100K oil-fired minijet boiler in 1972. Browsing I came across a 1962 US patent application for exactly this method with one option the addition of soda to the water
Patent US3056700 - Method of removing, with the use of water, soot and like deposits which adhere more or less fixedly to the walls of boiler flues, and apparatus for practising the method.
But which soda crystals?
Might be of interest to heating engineers here in the UK

Attachments

• PerkinsBoiler_1972.pdf
    627.5 KB · Views: 4
I think I might be close to answering my own question. I have attached a pdf of the Perkins cleaning system that came with my 100K oil-fired minijet boiler in 1972. Browsing I came across a 1962 US patent application for exactly this method with one option the addition of soda to the water
Patent US3056700 - Method of removing, with the use of water, soot and like deposits which adhere more or less fixedly to the walls of boiler flues, and apparatus for practising the method.
But which soda crystals?
Might be of interest to heating engineers here in the UK
The second attachment is the patent as a pdf: US3056700.pdf

Attachments

• US3056700.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to External cleaning oil-fired boiler tubes with alkaline spray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back