Search the forum,

Discuss fault finding earth loop impedance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary80gas

Gas Engineer
Ive been told testing the earth loop impedance (quality of earthing back to elec meter) as a part of electrics testing for boilers is important. My socket tester martindale ez150 tester measures this by series of lights. If its a low reading its ok,,if it lights up into hundreds ohms call electrician. Between these figures ive no idea at what point ive a problem that needs a sparks. Anyone using one understand correct use for heating engineers. Thanks to anyone who understands these testers.

depends on what kinda of system thay have but for a max 100 ohms (tt system)

but normally its under 2 ohms

Last edited:
There are different readings required for different installations and MCB's/fuses installed.

You need to make sure that you have those readings with you so you can tell if the installation is correct.

You are testing the earth back to and including the supply (external earth / neutral dependent on type )

There are different readings required for different installations and MCB's/fuses installed.

You need to make sure that you have those readings with you so you can tell if the installation is correct.

You are testing the earth back to and including the supply (external earth / neutral dependent on type )

The different readings for different installations? What are these figures or where do I find them? Thanks in advance.

The different readings for different installations? What are these figures or where do I find them? Thanks in advance.

Best bet is utube mate or ask on the elec forum

Different systems are

Pe/ tns
Tncs
Tt

Last edited:

Best bet is utube mate or ask on the elec forum

Different systems are

Pe/ tns
Tncs
Tt

Last edited:
they are all in the 17th edition regs in section 4 but the max is determined by the supply system (type of earthing arrangement) also the circuit protective device i.e. mcb type or fuse type,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fault finding earth loop impedance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Evening I've not posted for a while and have had to set up a new account as I can't find my old one. Moving on I have a wiring conundrum. Customer called said heating had died no lights on programmer. At the property the customer also asked if I could change the honeywell wiring centre...
Replies
Views
Interested on thoughts on this (I've also posted on another forum but thought this might be a better place to ask); Long time lurker, have gleamed some great knowledge from this site, finally signed up as I cant find an exact answer to the below. I'm not a heating engineer, but an electrical...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an oil-fired Aga with a BM oil control valve and a Flexitemp thermostatic control (see the image in this thread for an example). When I bought the house I was told by the previous owner that the thermostat didn’t work and so he (and now I) have always run it by setting the flexitemp...
Replies
Views
Andrew N Yorkshire
A
Does anyone have any experience with resolving an A02 fault? "Flame present signal with burner off." Possible cause: electrode or card fault. It usually starts with an error code regarding no flame after ignition phase and is replaced by A02. I had a gas valve fault being displayed but got rid...
Replies
Views
Hi folks Currently a Service Engineer looking to move onto Repairs. I've been looking for a Fault finding course which also does controls & have came across P & J Training in Johnstone, Scotland. They want £350 for a 2 day course covering Multimeter training, Fault Finding and Testing and then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock