Search the forum,

Discuss Faulty stopcock in new build in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all,

I moved into a new build flat about 2 months ago and last week the nut on the stopcock broken and caused the water supply pipe to come completely loose, thus quite a big leak followed.

Looking at the stopcock that broke (photo attached) I believe a secondhand/faulty stopcock was installed in the first place.

Any thoughts on the cause of the stopcock to break? and whether a 2 month old stopcock should look so weathered?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 20.17.05.png

Was the nut in the top of the photo actually the one fitted or is it from somewhere else and fitted to the valve for the photo?

No, the nut at the top was a new nut the plumber used when replacing the broken (photographed) stopcock.

The bottom nut (with crack in) was the previous nut.

Thanks

Seen it a few times normally down to cheap materials and overtighting

Would a stopcock thats only 5 months old have that much corrosion on it?

Cheers

The discoloured yes but not the blue flecks of flux no

It is beneath the sink. The feed runs about 2m to get to the boiler. There is a DW and WM either side of the sink, so there would be hot water feeds running at some points, although the area doesn't generally feel warm.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 20.54.02.png

Would a stopcock thats only 5 months old have that much corrosion on it?

Cheers
Guess the only way to have any idea is to give it 5 months then see however as said the quality of the valve in the first place plays a big part.
PS>
Nuts don`t suddenly crack at that sort of pressure in a domestic flat.

Stopcocks quite often get fitted at first fix stage before the house is weather tight so they are open to the elements.

Thanks all. I am not too fussed on the exterior condition of the stopcock, more the reason why it failed (and whether it's corrosion had any impact on why it failed).

From all your inputs, I would conclude it is to do with over tightening of the nut, or just a cheap part (although even cheap ones should last I'd have thought?).

Something I shall take up with the builder as am still within the defects period.

Cheers

Who are the builders ? the finish on that wall is crap ! if that's an example of what they do what's the rest of the build like

Thanks all. I am not too fussed on the exterior condition of the stopcock, more the reason why it failed (and whether it's corrosion had any impact on why it failed).

If you start with poor quality fittings there's all sorts of ways things can fail. My guess is that the joint leaked when first made but instead of dismantling and fixing the problem properly someone got their big adjustable spanner out and overtightened the nut.

Try and get a decent quality replacement fitted. I like Pegler myself.

Your first objective is to find out who supplied and installed the valve.
Get some firm proof - in writing.

Contact your insurance company, with the proof of the installer / installation company and let them deal with it.

Was there much water damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Faulty stopcock in new build in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would expect and the engineer broke of the handle. Luckily it seems you can close the valve with some pliers on the but I don't believe this is best for...
Replies
Views
D
Building Description A new (23 years old) 1 story small block of 7 flats. water enters the building and distributed to each flat from a communal cupboard on the ground floor. From here the water to my flat can be turned off via a stopcock(1) at this location. Water enters my flat which is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi I have a permanent gushing noise coming from the mains pipe to my stopcock, that continues even when the house stopcock is turned off. When it is off there is still a trickle of water that comes from an open tap. Could this be the noise what is causing the noise or could there be a leak on...
Replies
Views
Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will be privately owned by individual buyers, a guy on-site pointed out that the plumbing is wrong on the properties as a perspective buyer I’d like to know...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock