Search the forum,

Discuss Female Plumber Starting Own Business although she might regret her landrover rant. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toggles

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi all,

Little info for you beforehand; Fully time served apprenticeship, plumbing/ gas both domestic and commercial, variety of systems covered. General breakdowns, servicing, maintenance, refurbs on a daily basis in early years. Later some management and other professional experience along way ( Not the call girl type! lol) Been in industry 12 years to date..........

Whats your general opinion/ advice on female plumber starting own business?
Is there a market for female plumber ?
Do you think she can earn a living at it?
What do you think the chances of success are as a female out there are ?
What do you think the risks/ pitfalls are ?
Would you use her to sub certain work out/ recommend her to others?

Any other thoughts and general advice would be greatly appreciated from all you wise people! ;)

Thanks
Toggles

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Female Plumber Starting Own Business

Market for female plumbers is good if marketed the right way.

unfortunately to begin with you will have to play to the stereotypes to earn a living. So single and stay at home mums, elderly residents etc they'll be your bread and butter. Once there ticking along nicely your reputation will grow and so will client base.

the hardest problem will be convincing people who you'd like regular and contract work from. Like company's doing referbs and plant rooms.

Theres a a few female plumbers round my way and all play on the pink girlie aspect one has a pink van another has a little smart car with pink writing, can't say it's a bad thing it's less of a weakness and more playing to a strength for one they stand out from the rest as otherwise there just another plumber in a van.

Can't see it being a problem Toggles, if you know what your doing your do very well, and if you don't you will struggle simple as that! Good luck.

theres a good market for sanitary towel rails!.;)

sorry couldnt resist

on the yin and yan return, netmums is a good place for you to advertise.

Theres a plastering firm round by mine that's all females

Theres defiantly a market for it for single mum or women living alone but you'll defiantly have to face the stereo types or people knocking your confidence

I'd have a female work for me as long as she can do the job,

I cant see a problem, 2 lady plumbers/heating engineers near me.
only problem i can see , and it really doesn't matter if its a male or female starting a business ............. Be prepared , i have said this on here a few times, you think you work hard in your current job, well it isnt even close as to how hard it is to work for yourself.
What i will say is if you have a go , bloody good luck !!!

Hi gasmanrob

Great advice! Thanks ;)
Always been against the pink girly thing as a rule "Stereotyping" and that it states the obvious, used to bore and annoy me. That said, you do make a very good point and valid in that It does Stand out from the rest ! :)
Thanks again

theres a good market for sanitary towel rails!.;)

sorry couldnt resist

on the yin and yan return, netmums is a good place for you to advertise.

Oi Numbnuts, if you're going to try to be a smarty pants, know what your talking about haha.....Sanitary towels are not hung on 'rails'! Or at least not normally;)
Thanks for the advice on netmums though ;)

When I was back in London there was a girly plumber I knew. She got most of her work from married men who felt more secure with their wives not lusting over a male plumber.

Trouble was, though, she was a lesbian and got far more action than I could ever dream of. Or so she told me anyway!

When I was back in London there was a girly plumber I knew. She got most of her work from married men who felt more secure with their wives not lusting over a male plumber.

Trouble was, though, she was a lesbian and got far more action than I could ever dream of. Or so she told me anyway!

Made me LOL really Croppie! ;) Unfortunately for those ***** wives with lesbian tendencies, I am straight as an arrow and would likely clobber them with a spanner if they tried their luck on me!!! lol. I have come across those wives that are all dressed up kinky and such waiting for a hunk of a male plumber just to find little ole me at the door instead, if looks could kill Id have been a dead un I dont know how many times! haha ;)

There's a female plumbing company in Edinburgh that seem to be doing ok buddy :)

I've considered topless plumbing before but sadly mine are starting to droop.

One already down this way so must be a market, would like to see her hang a k3 or some cast iron

Its a shame that this is asked, we are supposed to be in a modern equal society

It makes a difference to some people, I couldn't give a monkeys who you are! I firmly believe that if you know what your doing then great get involved and crack on.

I've considered topless plumbing before but sadly mine are starting to droop.

APPLUMBING - You need a good support bra and exercise thats all, remember the tune to boob exercise;- " I must, I must, I must increase my bust, the bigger the better, the tighter the sweater, I must increase my bust cos the boys like em better!"
Get exercising those pecs and your topless plumbing dream shall come true ! lol ;)

One already down this way so must be a market, would like to see her hang a k3 or some cast iron

Hey, play nice hammers4spanner, I've done both, yes tough work but does it matter so long as i could do it? Besides I've seen blokes on site that are so slight they couldnt lift a pair of 36FF boobies without the help of a forklift!!
Now don't be a spanner ok ;)

Last edited:

You need to get up to a hundred posts Togs, so we can get you in the Arms where you'll give me fewer heart attacks. ...

All the women I know work harder than any of the men I know, men like to play

Women rule the world, men know this and are jealous and insecure so they squash women

Are you GS Toggles? If so send Gasman a PM and you can gain access to the GS forum.

Ok Croppie, I will try ;)

Don't worry yourself though, I'm very good at CPR and you'll be pleased to know i don't look like a bloke ! lol

I'll try to behave ;)

Ok Croppie, I will try ;)

Don't worry yourself though, I'm very good at CPR and you'll be pleased to know i don't look like a bloke ! lol

I'll try to behave ;)

Me neither, I'm more Marilyn Monroe.

never known a compression nut or end feed fitting ask me whats between my legs.

Ho Dancinplumba

Although I am grateful for your support, my post really isn't about the equality war and I don't want to start or be involved in the battle of it. I do plumbing because I love it and am good at it, I've earned my stripes so to speak. I only posted this as I am interested to hear the advice fellow trades people have to offer me, they are the experts after all in our field. I would'nt go into a ladies fashion shop and ask them the question of starting a plumbing business would I ? Relax, its all good ;)

When we started Miss Plumb, it was my mrs who started the business sfter walking away from her job in local authority. She is time served, worked in all teh different areas as yourself, and is now a building services design engineer. The thing that she found, and this goes against what people are saying, was that she didnt need to go for the stereotypical single mums or older people, she had a knack of being able to sell herself well to the customers and on average got 75% of the jobs that she priced. Her big downfall came when she did alot of work for a builder who had a contract to refurb council properties. She did 6 full systems and he paid on the dot, then she did another 10 and he paid in dribs and drabs, ÂŁ100 her and ÂŁ100 there. This meant she couldnt pay her merchants and had reached her limits for getting gear so as a word of warning, be careful who you work for (obviously this happens to everyone, not just female plumbers), id hate to see you fall foul as she did. Everything has worked out for the best and now she works with me designing ans specing biomass district heating systems and plantrooms.

When we started Miss Plumb, it was my mrs who started the business sfter walking away from her job in local authority. She is time served, worked in all teh different areas as yourself, and is now a building services design engineer. The thing that she found, and this goes against what people are saying, was that she didnt need to go for the stereotypical single mums or older people, she had a knack of being able to sell herself well to the customers and on average got 75% of the jobs that she priced. Her big downfall came when she did alot of work for a builder who had a contract to refurb council properties. She did 6 full systems and he paid on the dot, then she did another 10 and he paid in dribs and drabs, ÂŁ100 her and ÂŁ100 there. This meant she couldnt pay her merchants and had reached her limits for getting gear so as a word of warning, be careful who you work for (obviously this happens to everyone, not just female plumbers), id hate to see you fall foul as she did. Everything has worked out for the best and now she works with me designing ans specing biomass district heating systems and plantrooms.

Hi Missplumb,
Thanks for the great advice and warnings, I shall take that on board ;) Make em pay after each install/ leave a few snags until payment received maybe?? hehe. Am sorry it happened though, like you say it can happen to anyone and any business. Glad to hear you are both doing so well now ;)
Thanks again

Spot on advice, you sell your business not your gender, or Creed! Custards know what your about as soon as you step through the door and start talking and offering advice, get out there and start quoting see how you go.

The fundamentals for succeeding in business are the same for everyone. Make sure you provide a quality service, at competitive rate and people will continue to use and recommend you.
The number of jobs I get simply because I sent a price over when I said I would, turned up when I said I would and take an interest in the home or work required keeps me busy. I am never the cheapest but always do as I have quoted and make sure I respect the customers home. I'm not trying to preach but these simply basics have kept me in business over the last five years with no advertising and just word of mouth referrals, and business has never been so good for the last six months.
Good luck and don't give up, also make sure you have a good bottle of red at home for the days that don't go quite to plan!

Oi Numbnuts, if you're going to try to be a smarty pants, know what your talking about haha.....Sanitary towels are not hung on 'rails'! Or at least not normally;)
Thanks for the advice on netmums though ;)
they have been in some of the houses i have been in, perhaps there the reusable ones.lol

anyone tried these?.lol
th

wouldnt mind a case like that...in black

Hi Toggles. I would say welcome to the forum, but I see you have been a member for a while.

Little info for you beforehand; Fully time served apprenticeship, plumbing/ gas both domestic and commercial, variety of systems covered. General breakdowns, servicing, maintenance, refurbs on a daily basis in early years. Later some management and other professional experience along way ( Not the call girl type! lol) Been in industry 12 years to date..........

Thats an excellent start

Whats your general opinion/ advice on female plumber starting own business?
Is there a market for female plumber ?
Do you think she can earn a living at it?
What do you think the chances of success are as a female out there are ?

From reading the rest of the thread, I'm not sure whether you are intending to

a) run a plumbing business. As a complete non-sequitur, you happen to be female or
b) you plan to run a plumbing business, specifically marketing and promoting yourself as female, and hoping to gain competitive advantage from the latter.

If its the former, then you probably have some minor perception issues to overcome, and no doubt there will be a few thumbless flipwits who think they can increase their standing by belittling you, but nothing you wouldn't get in any of the male dominated fields.

If its the latter, I think that there are probably some great opportunities in areas where there are a large number of relatively well off, single women. I can see it working in (for example) south west London, but not so much in less affluent areas. With a bit of inventive PR, I bet you could get some free marketing from local press.

What do you think the risks/ pitfalls are ?

Notwithstanding the above, its the same pitfalls as every new start plumbing business:

1) Failing to understand the overhead of running a business and therefore underpricing work
2) Giving credit to people who you shouldn't give credit to, and being surprised when they don't pay
3) Not keeping on top of the paperwork - particularly invoicing and credit control
4) Not understanding the difference between cashflow and profit

I reckon 99% of all the bad debts we have ever taken come down to a combination of these factors.

They are the four horseman of the self employed businesspersons apocalypse.

Would you use her to sub certain work out/ recommend her to others?

Only if the quality of work was at least as high as my own.

Any other thoughts and general advice would be greatly appreciated from all you wise people! ;)

Never eat yellow snow.
And if you have false teeth, dont sneeze when standing at a urinal. Although this one is probably of limited value to you.

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Female Plumber Starting Own Business although she might regret her landrover rant. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock