Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird Oil Boiler not firing up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wanchope1

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the forum and first time poster. I do not have a great plumbing knowledge and was hoping for some advice on my oil boiler.

Apologies if this subject is covered elsewhere - I tried searching but could not find any matches.

Earlier in the week (Monday) my boiler was not firing up - the tank is 3/4 full. I tried pressing the reset button and still nothing. I took off the cover around the reset button and using an allen key loosened the pipe until oil started coming out. Thinking being there may be an air lock between tank and boiler. I then tightened it again and once I did this the boiler started firing up again.

However, today, the boiler is again not firing up. I tried the same thing as earlier in the week and nothing is happening. Same with the reset button nothing is happening.

I tried ringing a few local plumbers and they are not able to come out until Monday. As we have no other means of heating the house, and with two young children, I am keen to try to get the oil working again as soon as possible.

Any ideas/suggestions for trying to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome along.

So today did you get oil out when you undid the nut?

I had one today where the filter was frozen solid. Could be unrelated from earlier in the week. Check your filter.

I think we need more precise information. Is it the lockout button or overheat button, is the lockout button lit up, does the boiler fire and go to lockout or do you just hear a buzzing noise. More information reqd before we can give you precise information.

Thanks for your replies and apologies for delay in responding - went and got cheap convector heaters for the kids rooms.

Yes, there was oil that came out of the nut. Essentially, when pressing the red button on the boiler there is nothing happening - it does not try to make any attempt to fire up or make any buzzing noises. Does this sound like a new pump is required?

I think that the boiler was not set-up properly in the first place. For example, in order to get the central heating to work we also need to have on the hot water. You can have the hot water on its own but not the central heating.

As it is winter we have the central heating on a lot and therefore the hot water. The overflow pipe - from the small hot water tank - has been regularly dispersing water. I went up to loft last night to have another look and there is now a leak from the hot water tank - the leak is relatively recently (it was not there a month ago). It looks like the connection into the hot water tank is the root cause.

I am convinced, but may be wrong, that as we had to have the hot water on to get the central heating to work that this has played a part. Could this be the case or is it likely to be unrelated?

It sounds like you will need a proper engineer to sort your system out. You will need to check to make sure that when there is a demand for the HW/CH there is power to the boiler and burner, have you checked the OVERHEAT thermostat it may have tripped and cut off the supply to the burner?

It sounds like you will need a proper engineer to sort your system out. You will need to check to make sure that when there is a demand for the HW/CH there is power to the boiler and burner, have you checked the OVERHEAT thermostat it may have tripped and cut off the supply to the burner?

Hi Kimbo, Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, sounds like need to get a proper engineer out tomorrow. Excuse my ignorance but where can I find the OVERHEAT thermostat?

You haven said what boiler you have but I presume it is the one with a dual stat, where the control knob (circular dial for turning the boiler up or down) is there should be a next to it a plastic nipple with a screw slot in it. Unscrew that and you will find a button which you need to push in, it is spring loaded and if it feels like it is clicking when you depress it , it has tripped and it wiill be reset. If the boiler is on and it has tripped the boiler will come on.

Thanks very much Kimbo, that has done the trick. Will still get an engineer out tomorrow to check it and service it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Firebird Oil Boiler not firing up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock