Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Fired Earth Exposed Shower dripping badly in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

Hi all,

We recently moved into our house, (which had been unoccupied for a couple of months) and the shower was working perfectly to begin with. It's a Fired Earth Classic Exposed model like this one. After a couple of weeks it then started to drip quite steadily from the rose even though it was definitely turned off! The dripping stopped for a few days and now the dripping has come back. We live in a hard water area so I'm guessing that it's most likely a build up of limescale. Would this fit with the symptoms?

The water feeds for the shower are behind the tiled wall so it's not easy to turn off the supply. Turning off the main stop cock under the kitchen sink isolates the hot water feed to the shower aswell as the cold so I could potentially take the thermostatic controller apart and clean it up if it is a limescale build up. The problem I have is that I have no idea what to expect when taking it apart or even if it's possible to clean it once it's apart.

Any pointers gratefully received. Ta. :)

2. stani

stani Plumber GSR

Speak to fired earth, there are spares readily available, however they are expensive.

3. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

That would be my second choice but if it's possible to clean it up without spending money on it then that would definitely preferable. ;)

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sorry to say no once it starts dripping the cartridge has failed

• Like Like x 1
  5. stani

stani Plumber GSR

As above there are no user serviceable parts on these

6. ShaunCorbs

Don't think you can even strip them, I'm sure there pressed together

7. stani

stani Plumber GSR

Look fantastic, but a £60 center brand does exactly the same thing for £1200 less.

8. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

Bummer! But thanks for the info. I'll get onto Fired Earth and ask them about cartridge replacement costs. (Whilst sitting down, obviously!! :eek::D )

9. ShaunCorbs

Don't suppose you know how old it is ? I only ask as somtimes companies have a 5 year warranty

10. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

Yeah, I can't believe the price of them!! I'm damn sure I wouldn't have paid that much if it was my house. (It's rented, thankfully)

11. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

No idea but I'll mention it to the landlord.

12. stani

stani Plumber GSR

Will the landlord not repair