Search the forum,

Discuss First few boiler installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikerbas

Has post says just installed a few boilers now and what ive noticed is every job i start i find numerous faults with the install.ie gas pipe touching consumer unit, no sleaving on gas pipe through cavity wall no on/off tape,gas pipe run outside with nail clips to name a few.And when i tell the customer they say been like that for ages no other gas eng has mentioned it when doing servicing etc.

When you guys go to give a quote do you check all the pipework first which you can see and advice before hand?

I will probably get people on here shouting I am wrong but if you are going to be too pernickaty you will never get any of the jobs.
but saying that the gas pipe touching consumer unit is it electric is a no no how hard would it be to put a sleeve around the pipe that passes through wall if you did get the job do it.

In short no I don't point them out to the customer when quoting unless it's major and is going to add quite a bit to the job, I just sort them out if I get the job.

If you were to mention everything you're likely to freak the customer out and perhaps not get the job, there's no harm in mentioning what you've put right when you've done the job though, customer then thinks you're a star.

Edit - should add if it's AR or I'D then def take action

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes thats what ive been doing is putting them right,at least i know the jobs done properly them cheers

your going to see a lot of minor faults,unless its a newbuild,a lot of iffy pratices before corgi became law

i went to look at a job in a little flat, nice guy young child, i was having a look around for the gas, he tells me its behind the fridge pull out the fridge theres the gas with cooker hose still fitted (no cooker) capped? not exactly, lots of gaffa tape and 2 jubilee clips but it was okay because he had selotaped the ecv shut = ) had to cap it there and then (no charge). bad thing was two other rgi had been to look at job before me and not said a thing, needless to say my more expensive quote got the job. my point? sometimes its good to pick holes in everything, it can secure a job, just casually mention that its not right will fix when you give me the job

i get it all the time one land lord went mad as i charged him for removing a closure plate that was grip filled to the tiled wall behind -he said the previous engineers never removed it so why have i.another tip is to ask customer to show you the appliance working its amazing how many know its broke but blame you when it wont work after the service as you never tried it .I had one last wk i tried the fire worked and did a soundness test then removed fire- found chimmney poor so left fire out so builder could sort pointing to first 4 courses.when i fitted the fire the wk later only got 10mb working pressure -dont know if it was like that before -i wanted to cut some plaster to see what the pipe drop was in but customer said no as the room had just been papered .i learnt the hard way i now check before taking fires out and again after all tests.i told the customer does a mechanic take his car down the motorway to test top speed before doing a service he seemed a bit more understanding after this comparison.

regards ant

I know what you mean you point these things out and they just think youre after more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First few boiler installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock