Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a Saniflo....slightly off-spec. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to use Saniflo's ability to pump sh*t uphill so I can link a toilet into the next-door property's sewage system - the property I'm fitting the toilet in doesn't have a sewage system. The buildings are in open country on a hillside. The Saniflo installation instructions (and their robotic technical adviser) say the unit (a Sanitop) will pump 5m vertically and then 20m at a 1% gradient. Doing exactly this will be difficult and unsightly. I need the effluent to go less than 5m vertically but considerably further than 20m horizontally (they quote other combinations of vertical and horizontal, but none fit). What I'd like to do is run the effluent about 3m horizontally (to exit the building) then to follow the gradient of the hill and dump it into a chamber (less than 20m away in total) from where I can run it by gravity through a 4" soil pipe to the next door property. When I asked about pumping it at 45 degrees rather than 90 degrees (i.e. vertical) Saniflo guy had no answer. Has anyone done anything like this, or had any similar set ups and experience? Obviously being off spec I'll have no come back on anyone should I go ahead with it.

If the gradient exceeds 1% after the 3metres then you're not pumping, it's falling by gravity, therefore you don't need to meet the spec.
Increase the discharge pipe size after the 3 metre horizontal.

Thanks Snowhead. Sorry, I didn't make it clear that the pipe will have to go uphill, not downhill, after the 3 metre horizontal. I've got to get the laser level on it yet to see what height I'm needing - certainly not the 5m its capable of as a straight vertical lift, but something approaching that.
Interesting that you say anything over 1% gradient will be managed by gravity alone rather than need pumping - I can use that information. I'm going to use a 32mm pipe (the max they recommend) to ease the flow.

I can see this being a disaster can you not bury a Septic tank and run the toilet effluent into that.

I can see this being a disaster can you not bury a Septic tank and run the toilet effluent into that.
Unfortunately not - I don't have access to the land necessary for a septic tank. The toilet will be little used and I'm prepared to take a risk with it - thd building's been around as a workshop for nearly 100 years, never with a toilet. You guys on this forum are my disaster avoidance plan!

RPM is definitely the expert on anything related to a Saniflo.
Not sure if he is on here much now, but I will try to contact him now, as quicker on another forum.

RPM is definitely the expert on anything related to a Saniflo.
Not sure if he is on here much now, but I will try to contact him now, as quicker on another forum.
@Best, Yeah like you say not on here much nowadays.

OP, need to know which pump you are thinking of using and other than the toilet is there anything else connected, then need to know the lengths of the pipe involved, vertical first then the horizontal length. Wouldn`t have a 415v supply would you?

I need to use Saniflo's ability to pump sh*t uphill so I can link a toilet into the next-door property's sewage system - the property I'm fitting the toilet in doesn't have a sewage system. The buildings are in open country on a hillside.

Drains aren't my thing but I recall Building Regs G4.24 saying:

"A WC fitted with a macerator and pump may be connected to a small bore drainage system discharging to a discharge stack if:
a. there is also access to a WC discharging directly to a gravity system; and ..."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...207/BR_PDF_AD_G_2015_with_2016_amendments.pdf

, which I assume is to make sure that you don't have a macerator/pump as the only loo in a building.

You should talk to Building Control before going too far with this.

Chuck, you are correct re having an electric muncher as the only toilet however so many developers pay off the council planning officers that you wouldn't believe it.

RPM - I've bought a Sanitop which claims to pump 5m vertically and 20m 'horizontally' (i.e. 1% drop)....or 1m vertically and 90m 'horizontally'...and everything else in between. Only have single phase (240V). There will be a wash-hand basin connected to the Sanitop as well as the WC (only in use along with the WC). The attached sketch gives a rough idea of the layout. I could, if the sketched plan doesn't work, simply pipe the effluent 5m vertically and then let it drop via some sort of bridge, angled down from the back of the building to the hill and then
Saniflo plan.jpg
to the chamber, but clearly I'd rather it ran in a trench at ground level to reach the chamber.

I'm afraid the second link is out of date so the OP may not have seen it, however any engineer worth his salt would still install a pump to these guidelines.
If it's this model:

http://www.saniflo.co.uk/upload/products/54/notice-sanibroyeur-pro-up-web.pdf

then your proposed arrangement is shown with a big red cross through it as figure 3.

On page 3 of this manual:

http://www.saniflo.co.uk/upload/pdf/170144-manual_domestic-range-brochure.pdf

The manufacturers say "N.B. Vertical lift must precede horizontal run." and reinforces the point on page 16.

RPM - ............................. The attached sketch gives a rough idea of the layout. I could, if the sketched plan doesn't work, simply pipe the effluent 5m vertically and then let it drop via some sort of bridge, angled down from the back of the building to the hill and then View attachment 30493 to the chamber, but clearly I'd rather it ran in a trench at ground level to reach the chamber.
With a 3m horizontal before the vertical you will not get the 5m vertical from a Sanitop, suggest you look at the Sanifos range.

Google Translate

Personally I`d fit either the KSB mini compacta or the ABS Sanimat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a Saniflo....slightly off-spec. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock