Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Fixing toilet to tiled floor with underfloor heating in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

I have to fix a new toilet to my daughter's downstairs toilet.She has just had the floor retiled. The house has piped underfloor heating. I am just a bit concerned about screwing the pan to the floor and whether the pipes will be far enough down not to worry. The previous wc was plugged and screwed down in the normal way.Any thoughts please.

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Shouldn't be any pipes under the pan so check it first.

3. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Car body filler mixed right sticks unglazed porcelain to surfaces fine style been doin it for years, basins bogs u name it having read Simon below his solution is probably better

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Shouldn't but wouldn't trust somebody else.

Drilled to wall and silicone to floor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

How can I check it, the pipes are under a tiled floor so I can't see if there are any there or not?

6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Turn it on, does it become warm in the area. If in doubt then don`t use screws however if the pan fixings use`s L brackets with horizontal screws I`ve seen blocks of wood stuck to the floor to replace the brackets. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

2nd that, ct1 blocks of wood to thefloor and screw the side mounts into that

8. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

Epoxy resin. Or change the toilet to a wall mounted toilet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

Not easy to take out again if I epoxy it. Toilet already bought and wall mounting not possible anyway.

10. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

I agree with simong and bogrodder; screw cistern to wall and then run a nice bead of silicone around base of pan (use leveling packers first to ensure no rocking of the pan - cut them off flush with the porcelain). I've done this many times, can easily take out in future if needed but is rock solid for normal use. DO NOT consider screwing into floor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If there is a toilet there already surely you should be fine? I personally wouldn’t be too worried if there was a toilet there already.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

I really wouldn't. The previous pan fix could easily have just been a lucky miss of the UFH. If you know it's there why would you risk it when other viable alternatives exist?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not every engineer has thermal imagery to hand.

14. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

You could switch on UFH and use your elbow, it's quite sensitive.. or is that for babies' baths?

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

A joiner has put some boxing behind where the previous toilet was so the new fixings would be about 200mm away from the previous so I think it would be taking a big risk to drill new holes.