Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing toilet to tiled floor with underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have to fix a new toilet to my daughter's downstairs toilet.She has just had the floor retiled. The house has piped underfloor heating. I am just a bit concerned about screwing the pan to the floor and whether the pipes will be far enough down not to worry. The previous wc was plugged and screwed down in the normal way.Any thoughts please.

Car body filler mixed right sticks unglazed porcelain to surfaces fine style been doin it for years, basins bogs u name it having read Simon below his solution is probably better

Last edited:
How can I check it, the pipes are under a tiled floor so I can't see if there are any there or not?
Turn it on, does it become warm in the area. If in doubt then don`t use screws however if the pan fixings use`s L brackets with horizontal screws I`ve seen blocks of wood stuck to the floor to replace the brackets. ;)

2nd that, ct1 blocks of wood to thefloor and screw the side mounts into that

I agree with simong and bogrodder; screw cistern to wall and then run a nice bead of silicone around base of pan (use leveling packers first to ensure no rocking of the pan - cut them off flush with the porcelain). I've done this many times, can easily take out in future if needed but is rock solid for normal use. DO NOT consider screwing into floor.

I have to fix a new toilet to my daughter's downstairs toilet.She has just had the floor retiled. The house has piped underfloor heating. I am just a bit concerned about screwing the pan to the floor and whether the pipes will be far enough down not to worry. The previous wc was plugged and screwed down in the normal way.Any thoughts please.
If there is a toilet there already surely you should be fine? I personally wouldn’t be too worried if there was a toilet there already.

I really wouldn't. The previous pan fix could easily have just been a lucky miss of the UFH. If you know it's there why would you risk it when other viable alternatives exist?

If there is a toilet there already surely you should be fine? I personally wouldn’t be too worried if there was a toilet there already.
A joiner has put some boxing behind where the previous toilet was so the new fixings would be about 200mm away from the previous so I think it would be taking a big risk to drill new holes.

Mentioned earlier in thread by myself and others. Basically silicone pan or glue blocks in to screw to etc

I posted this on purpose to see people’s responses. I know exactly what I would do (I posted it 2 posts down from this one) but there is another post on here still ongoing at the moment that is very similar to this one and the engineer and customer are debating it. Non of the professional engineers that commented on the other post have mentioned any of the ideas here. Just wanted to see how people would react

625A24D6-5C0B-48E6-A445-126743F67028.png

Old school it cement pan down ?

I will admit on some toilet pans I have solely fixed them to floor using silicone.
I sometimes won’t drill floor when pipes could be below.
Yes, if the pan ever came loose, then I could be accused of incorrectly installing it.
But on large pans on top of clean flat tiles and cistern screwed to wall, they are often very stable without any floor fixing, so silicone added will be very strong. In fact it is very difficult to remove.
Toilet pans are a big footprint so would be hard to pull loose if siliconed.
A basin will glue solid to a tiled wall if silicone used, so same on floor, but perhaps silicone might not grab to some types of tiles.

In a ideal world it would be fixed via the L brackets but why take the risk if there is a underfloor heating loop there I could fit the pan securely without screwing down and have no problems, hit a pipe and its a hole different story i have respect for the other guys views but we all have our ways of working. cheers kop

In a ideal world it would be fixed via the L brackets but why take the risk if there is a underfloor heating loop there I could fit the pan securely without screwing down and have no problems, hit a pipe and its a hole different story i have respect for the other guys views but we all have our ways of working. cheers kop
Wouldn’t be any risk with thermal camera mate. You should be able to see where they run. In my opinion obviously

Go to Toolstation and buy a tube of Stixall. As others have said fix it back to the wall with screws and plugs and set pan down on a bead of Stixall. It WONT move after 24 hrs.

Is this one still going .. lol
Side fixing toilet , block of hardwood stuck to the floor with sticks-like ****, screw into hard wood,
( pre drill first ) silicone seal around pan and “jobs a gud un “

FLIR one plugs into your phone. As previous posts if it’s level and there’s no rock mastic seal will do the job. I’d use clear above white

DFEF5AF7-852C-40E5-966D-08C5B94DE385.jpeg

Reply to Fixing toilet to tiled floor with underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock